Recall Notification Report
WASHINGTON, March 21, 2011 - Northwest Premium Meats, a Nampa, Idaho, establishment is recalling approximately 2,130 pounds of smoked ham and bacon products because they contain sodium nitrite, which is not declared on the label.
The products subject to recall include:
- Various weight individual packages of "HOMESTEAD NATURAL SMOKED HAM"
- Various weight individual packages of "HOMESTEAD NATURAL SMOKED BACON"
- Various weight individual packages of "HOMESTEAD NATURAL SMOKED HAM HOCKS"
- Various weight individual packages of "PANTHER RANCH SMOKED HAM"
- Various weight individual packages of "PANTHER RANCH SMOKED HAM SLICES"
- Various weight individual packages of "PANTHER RANCH SMOKED BACON"
- Various weight individual packages of "PANTHER RANCH SMOKED HAM HOCKS"
Each package contains the establishment number 11032 inside the USDA mark of inspection. The products were produced on various dates between March 9, 2010, and Feb. 25, 2011. The products being recalled represent the entire amount produced between these dates. The products were sold online and at farmers markets, and shipped to distribution centers in Idaho.
The labels as designed contained the full ingredient list, but sodium nitrite was left off the final label due to a printing error. The problem was discovered by FSIS during a label review at the establishment. FSIS and the company have received no reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about a reaction should contact a healthcare provider.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers.
Consumers and media with questions about the recall should contact the company's representative, Dennis Mason, at (208) 466-9413.
Consumers with food safety questions can "Ask Karen," the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from l0 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day.
Heat Treated - Shelf Stable
Company Contact Information
FSIS Contact Information
FSIS provides updates as we become aware of additional products, distribution locations or other information important to the public.