The New Technology Review Process
- This directive provides procedures that FSIS headquarters personnel are to follow when an establishment, egg products plant, or company submits a notification to inform the Agency of its intent to use a new technology, a new technology protocol for Agency review before implementation, a new technology protocol requesting to conduct an in-plant trial, or a validation protocol for Agency review before in-plant validation. New technology includes the use of substances in FSIS regulated products as well as technologies that require a waiver.
- This directive also facilitates improved coordination and uniformity among the following program areas involved in the review of new technology:
- Office of Policy and Program Development (OPPD);
- Office of Field Operations (OFO), District Offices (DO) and inspection program personnel (IPP);
- Office of Public Health Science (OPHS);
- Office of Management (OM), Labor and Employee Relations Division (LERD);
- OM, Employee, Safety, Health and Wellness Staff (ESHWS);
- Office of Data Integration and Food Protection (ODIFP); and
- Other FSIS program personnel as assigned.