Constituent Update - February 17, 2023
FSIS Expands Chemistry Laboratory Guidebook
The FSIS Chemistry Laboratory Guidebook (CLG) has been expanded to include an introductory chapter, a new toxins method, and updated versions of three other methods.
FSIS Laboratory System Introduction, Method Performance Expectations, and Sample Handling for Chemistry (CLG 1.00) provides general information about sample receipt and preparation, materials and reagents, instrumentation, and reporting results for chemical analyses. Screening of Toxins by LC-MS/MS (CLG-TOX2) is a multi-residue method used by FSIS to test for toxins in FSIS-regulated processed products as deemed necessary by the agency.
The following three methods have been updated into a new format to increase readability:
- Screening, Determination, and Confirmation of PFAS by UHPLC-MS-MS (CLG-PFAS2), which tests for per- and polyfluorinated alkyl substances (PFAS) residues;
- Multi-residue veterinary drug method, Screening and Confirmation of Animal Drug Residues by UHPLC-MS-MS (CLG-MRM3); and
- Aminoglycoside method, Screening for Aminoglycosides by UHPLC-MS-MS (CLG-AMG4).
These methods also have accompanying flow charts to show the basic steps from sample receipt to results reporting.
These new and updated methods will be posted no later than February 28, 2023 and can be found on the Chemistry Laboratory Guidebook page of the FSIS website. Please direct questions regarding specific elements of the updated method to the USDA website via AskUSDA.
FSIS to Post Individual Category Status and Aggregate Results for Poultry Carcasses, Chicken Parts, and Comminuted Poultry Tested for Salmonella
On February 21, 2023, FSIS will update the individual establishment Salmonella performance standard category information for raw poultry carcasses, raw chicken parts, and comminuted poultry products on the Salmonella Verification Testing Program Monthly Posting page on the FSIS website. Additionally, FSIS will post the aggregate sampling results showing the number of establishments in categories 1, 2, or 3 for establishments producing young poultry carcasses, raw chicken parts, or not ready-to-eat (NRTE) comminuted poultry products at the location linked above.
FSIS to Host Webinars on Expansion of Generic Label Approval Final Rule
FSIS will host the first of multiple webinars to discuss the January 2023 Prior Label Approval System: Expansion of Generic Label Approval final rule, which will become effective on March 20, 2023. The webinars will highlight the changes to the categories of labels that will require approval by FSIS, as well as the new categories of labels that will be generically approved once the rule becomes effective.
The webinars will be held on the following dates:
- February 23, 2023, 1-2:15 p.m. ET
- March 1, 2023, 1-2:15 p.m. ET
- March 7, 2023, 1-2:15 p.m. ET
- March 15, 2023, 1-2:15 p.m. ET
The webinars will be held on Microsoft Teams. Pre-registration for the webinars is not required. To access the labeling webinars, please visit the events & meetings page on the FSIS website.
A recording of the webinar, along with presentation slides, will be posted on the FSIS website for those unable to attend. For questions, contact us at AskFSIS.
- Thursday, Feb 23, 2023 1:00 pm - 2:15 pm ET: FSIS Expansion of Generic Label Approval (encore 1)
- Wednesday, Mar 1, 2023 1:00 pm - 2:15 pm ET: FSIS Expansion of Generic Label Approval (encore 2)
- Tuesday, Mar 7, 2023 1:00 pm - 2:15 pm ET: FSIS Expansion of Generic Label Approval (encore 3)
- Wednesday, Mar 15, 2023 1:00 pm - 2:15 pm ET: FSIS Expansion of Generic Label Approval (encore 4)
Available for Public Comment
FSIS seeks public comments on proposed rules and notices, which are viewable on the FSIS Federal Register & Rulemaking webpage. FSIS is currently seeking comments on the following:
- Until February 17: Prior Label Approval System: Expansion of Generic Label Approval
FSIS notices and directives on public health and regulatory issues are available on the FSIS Policy webpage. The following policy update was recently issued:
FSIS Notice 09-23 - Seven-Digit Export Stamp, Enhanced Digital Signature, Plain Paper Printing, and Statements Module for Use with the Export Module of the Public Health Information System - Phase Eight
FSIS Notice 10-23 - Annual Notice to High-Mileage Drivers - Fiscal Year 2024
Export Requirements Update
The Library of Export Requirements has been updated for products for the following:
- New Zealand
- Turks & Caicos Islands
- El Salvador
- European Union
- St. Lucia
- French Polynesia (Tahiti)
- United Arab Emirates
- New Caledonia
- North Macedonia
- Western Samoa (Samoa)
- Solomon Islands
- Hong Kong
Complete information can be found at the FSIS Import & Export Library.