FSIS to Host Eastern Laboratory Open House as Part of the Laboratory Open House Series
FSIS plans to host a virtual open house at the Eastern Laboratory in Athens, GA on March 29, 2021, from 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Topics have been specifically chosen based on recent feedback and frequent questions received by the FSIS laboratories.
- Participants will learn:
- Recent updates on how the FSIS Laboratories perform analyses to support the regulatory, public health mission of FSIS
- How our Laboratories receive samples and common reasons for sample discards that do not meet acceptance criteria
- How FSIS uses histopathology techniques to support the FSIS Public Health Veterinarians in performing their inspection duties
- This open house will also pay particular attention to the following methods: confirmation of anti-fungal dyes in Siluriformes (fish), speciation of Siluriformes (fish), isolation of Listeria monocytogenes, and updates to the Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) method
- Timeline of Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS) and how WGS supports illness investigations and informs regulatory science
Participants must pre-register.