Michigan Brand, Inc. Recalls Products Due to Misbranding and an Undeclared Allergen
WASHINGTON, February 17, 2015 Michigan Brand, Inc., a Bay City, Mich., establishment is recalling approximately 4,287 pounds of pork sausage products due to misbranding and an undeclared allergen, the U.S. Department of Agricultures Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today. The product contains hydrolyzed soy protein, a known allergen, which is not declared on the products labels.
The following products are subject to recall: [Labels (PDF Only)]
- 6 oz. packages of MICHIGAN BRAND Teriyaki Hunter Sausage bearing production dates of 6/6/14 to 2/17/15 on the label
- 6 oz. packages of The Jerky OUTLET Teriyaki Hunter Sausage bearing production dates of 6/6/14 to 2/17/15 on the label
- 14 oz. packages of MICHIGAN BRAND Teriyaki flavor Hunter Sausage bearing production dates of 6/6/14 to 2/17/15 on the label
- 14 oz. packages of The Jerky OUTLET Teriyaki Hunter Sausage bearing production dates of 6/6/14 to 2/17/15 on the label
- 40 count boxes of The Jerky OUTLET Teriyaki Hunter Sausage bearing production dates of 6/6/14 to 2/17/15 on the label
The products bear the establishment number Est. 10306 inside the USDA mark of inspection, and have a shelf life of one year from the date of production. The products were shipped to retail outlets and distributors in Michigan.
The problem was discovered when an FSIS consumer safety inspector was reviewing labels and noticed that the soy ingredient was not on the ingredients list.
FSIS and the company have received no reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about a reaction should contact a healthcare provider.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers. When available, the retail distribution list(s) will be posted on the FSIS website at www.fsis.usda.gov/recalls.
Consumers and media with questions about the recall should contact Michigan Brand, Inc. Plant Manager Joe Grillo at Joegrillo@michiganbrand.net or at (989) 859-0081.
Consumers with food safety questions can "Ask Karen," the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov or via smartphone at m.askkaren.gov. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day. The online Electronic Consumer Complaint Monitoring System can be accessed 24 hours a day at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/reportproblem.