California Firm Recalls Ready-To-Eat Pork Products Due to Possible Adulteration
WASHINGTON, October 27, 2010 - Autentico Foods, a Hawaiian Gardens, Calif., establishment, is recalling approximately 54,000 pounds of ready-to-eat pork products that it did not produce in accordance with its food safety plan, failing to take the steps it had determined were necessary to produce safe products, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.
The problem was discovered through a review of company records by FSIS in-plant inspection personnel. The review uncovered evidence to show that the establishment’s food safety records cannot be relied upon to document compliance with its Listeria prerequisite program. Therefore, FSIS must consider the products to be adulterated and has acted to remove the products from commerce. FSIS has received no reports of illnesses associated with consumption of these products. Individuals concerned about an illness should contact a physician.
The following pork products bear the establishment number “EST 31810” inside the mark of inspection and are subject to recall:
- 10-pound boxes of “Autentico Foods Corp. CHICHARRON BELLIE GRUESO FRIED PORK BELLIES THICK.”
- 5-ounce bags of “AUTENTICO FOODS Chicharron Delgado FRIED PORK SKINS.”
- 8-ounce bags of “AUTENTICO FOODS Chicharron Delgado FRIED PORK SKINS.”
- 7-ounce bags of “AUTENTICO FOODS CHICHARRON CRACKLIN FRIED PORK CRACKLIN.”
The fried pork products listed above have production dates of May 8, 2010 through September 29, 2010, appearing as “050810” through “092910” printed on each package. They were distributed to retail establishments in California.
- 7-ounce jars of “AUTENTICO FOODS Cueritos En Vinagre PICKLED PORK SKINS.”
- 15-ounce jars of “AUTENTICO FOODS Cueritos En Vinagre PICKLED PORK SKINS.”
- 2-pound jars of “AUTENTICO FOODS Cueritos En Vinagre PICKLED PORK SKINS.”
- 5-pound jars of “AUTENTICO FOODS Cueritos En Vinagre PICKLED PORK SKINS.”
- 11-pound jars of “AUTENTICO FOODS Cueritos En Vinagre PICKLED PORK SKINS.”
- 4-pound jars of “AUTENTICO FOODS Cueritos En Vinagre PICKLED PORK SKINS.”
- 4-ounce pouches of “AUTENTICO FOODS Cueritos En Vinagre PICKLED PORK SKINS.”
The pickled pork skin products listed above bear lot numbers “09410X” through “23810X,” where “X” may be replaced with a numeral 1 through 5, printed on each container. They were distributed to retail establishments in California, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Nevada, New York, Oklahoma, Texas, and Utah.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers.
Media and consumers with questions about the recall should contact company Owner Perla Vasquez at (562) 619-8821.
Consumers with food safety questions can "Ask Karen," the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from l0 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day.
Fully Cooked - Not Shelf Stable
Company Contact Information
FSIS Contact Information
FSIS provides updates as we become aware of additional products, distribution locations or other information important to the public.
June 12, 2020 - en