Constituent Update - October 20, 2023
FSIS Announces Fiscal Year 2024 Dioxin Survey
On November 1, 2023, FSIS will begin a one-year sampling program of domestic beef, pork, and Siluriformes fish to determine levels of dioxins and dioxin-like compounds. This survey is part of FSIS’ effort to monitor dioxin in regulated products to provide insight on changes in human exposure to dioxin-like compounds through the diet. Dioxins are a group of compounds of public health concern that are found in the environment, generally occurring at very low levels as persistent environmental contaminants. FSIS in-plant personnel will collect the samples and the Agricultural Research Service (ARS) will analyze the samples. This is the latest survey in the recurring five-year cycle of dioxin surveys that FSIS conducts with other federal partners, including ARS, the Environmental Protection Agency, and the Food and Drug Administration.
FSIS intends to publish the results of this survey on the Chemical Residues and Contaminants page of FSIS website, alongside previous survey results. FSIS has issued instructions to inspection program personnel in FSIS Notices 56-23 Fiscal year 2024 Dioxin Survey Livestock (Cattle And Swine) and 57-23 Fiscal year 2024 Dioxin Survey For Domestic Farm-Raised And Wild Caught Siluriformes Fish.
FSIS Posts Individual Category Status and Aggregate Results for Poultry Carcasses, Chicken Parts, and Comminuted Poultry Tested for Salmonella
Today, FSIS updated the individual establishment Salmonella performance standard category information for raw poultry carcasses, raw chicken parts, and comminuted poultry products on the Salmonella Verification Testing Program Monthly Posting page on the FSIS website. Additionally, FSIS posted the aggregate sampling results showing the number of establishments in categories 1, 2, or 3 for establishments producing young poultry carcasses, raw chicken parts, or not ready-to-eat (NRTE) comminuted poultry products at the location linked above.
FSIS Posts Updated Quarterly Humane Handling Datasets
Today, the quarterly humane handling inspection datasets were updated on the FSIS website. The datasets include:
- the number of administrative enforcement actions taken;
- the number of humane handling verification tasks performed;
- the number of humane handling verification tasks that resulted in a noncompliance record (NR);
- and the number of hours spent observing and verifying the humane treatment of livestock.
This posting contains the most recent four quarters of data by district, Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) size, and quarter.
Available for Public Comment
FSIS seeks public comments on proposed rules and notices, which are viewable on the FSIS Federal Register & Rulemaking webpage. FSIS is currently seeking comments on the following:
- Until November 27, 2023: Notice of Request to Renew an Approved Information Collection: Egg Products Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point and Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures
- Until December 11, 2023: Notice of Request for New Information Collection: Small and Very Small Establishment Outreach Survey
- Until December 11, 2023: Notice of Request for Renewal of an Approved Information Collection: Salmonella Initiative Program
- Until December 18, 2023: Notice of Request for a New Information Collection: Salmonella Control Strategies Pilot Projects - 2023
FSIS notices and directives on public health and regulatory issues are available on the FSIS Policy webpage. The following policy update was recently issued:
FSIS Notice 58-23 - Family Member Eligibility For Federal Employees' Health Benefits Program Coverage
FSIS Notice 57-23 - Fiscal Year 2024 Dioxin Survey For Domestic Farm-Raised And Wild Caught Siluriformes Fish
FSIS Notice 56-23 - Fiscal Year 2024 Dioxin Survey Livestock (Cattle And Swine)
FSIS Directive 1240.1 - Communicating With External and Internal Entities - Revision 6
Export Requirements Update
The Library of Export Requirements has been updated for products for the following:
- Costa Rica
- El Salvador
- French Polynesia (Tahiti)
- Hong Kong
Complete information can be found at the FSIS Import & Export Library.