Constituent Update - January 6, 2023
USDA Invests in Projects to Promote Competition and Strengthen the Nation’s Meat Supply Chain
On January 5, 2023, Secretary Tom Vilsack announced that USDA is investing $9.6 million across the country and taking several other steps to help farmers, ranchers, processors, and rural businesses diversify the nation’s meat supply.
Secretary Vilsack announced 25 new investments to increase independent meat processing capacity in California, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Montana, Nebraska, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin.
The Department is awarding 23 Value Added Producer Grant program grants totaling $3.9 million to help producer-owned companies process and market new products. USDA is also providing guarantees for a total of $5.7 million in loans to two companies through the Food Supply Chain Guaranteed Loan Program using American Rescue Plan funding. This program supports new investments in infrastructure for food aggregation, processing, manufacturing, storage, transportation, wholesaling, and distribution.
View the USDA press release for examples on how the funding will be used as well as additional information on USDA’s accomplishments to date to support meat producers, promote competition, and strengthen local and regional food supply chains.
FSIS Posts Quarterly Updates to Establishment-Specific Datasets
Today, FSIS posted quarterly updates to the following establishment-specific datasets on laboratory sampling and inspection tasks.
Establishment-specific Datasets on Laboratory Sampling
- Egg Product Sampling Data
- Intensified Verification Testing Data
- Raw Beef Components Sampling Data
- Raw Beef Follow-up Sampling Data
- Raw Beef Trim Sampling Data
- Raw Ground Beef Sampling Data
- Raw Chicken Carcasses Sampling Data
- Raw Chicken Parts Sampling Data
- Raw Comminuted Chicken Sampling Data
- Raw Comminuted Turkey Sampling Data
- Raw Turkey Carcasses Sampling Data
- Raw Pork Products Sampling Data
- Raw Poultry Follow-up Sampling Data
- Ready-to-Eat (RTE) Meat and Poultry Sampling Data
- Risk-based Listeria monocytogenes Sampling Data
- Siluriformes Product Sampling Data
Establishment-specific data on tested product contained in laboratory sampling results datasets are not sufficient to determine an association with human illnesses. Further epidemiologic information is needed to determine if there is an association between the non-clinical isolates and human illnesses.
Establishment-specific Datasets on Inspection Tasks
- Livestock Humane Handling Inspection Tasks
- Poultry Good Commercial Practices Inspection Tasks
Available for Public Comment
FSIS seeks public comments on proposed rules and notices, which are viewable on the FSIS Federal Register & Rulemaking webpage. FSIS is currently seeking comments on the following:
- Until January 19: Uniform Compliance Date for Food Labeling Regulations (2022)
- Until January 23: Use of a Non-Destructive Surface Sampling Device to Sample Domestic Beef Manufacturing Trimmings and Bench Trim
FSIS notices and directives on public health and regulatory issues are available on the FSIS Policy webpage. The following policy update was recently issued:
FSIS Notice 70-22 - Public Health Information System Establishment Profile Update – Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point Details
FSIS Notice 01-23 - Raw Pork Products Sampling Program
FSIS Notice 02-23 - 2023 Mileage Reimbursement Rates
Export Requirements Update
The Library of Export Requirements has been updated for products for the following:
- Dominican Republic
- United Kingdom
- Turks & Caicos Islands
- South Africa
- St. Lucia
- El Salvador
- United Arab Emirates
- North Macedonia
- Solomon Islands
- New Caledonia
- New Zealand
- Hong Kong
- Western Samoa (Samoa)
- French Polynesia (Tahiti)
Complete information can be found at the FSIS Import & Export Library.