Last update Mar 06, 2023
- Egg products are not eligible for export to Sudan.
A. Eligible products
- Beef and beef products. All shipments must be Halal certified.
- Pork and pork products
A. Ineligible products
- Poultry and poultry products
All export applications for meat and poultry exports must be entered and processed through PHIS beginning Monday, March 6, 2023.
All FSIS export certificates accompanying the product must be signed by an FSIS veterinarian. PHIS will add (DVM) after the digital signature. *
- Beef and Beef Products: PHIS will generate FSIS Form 9060-5 Meat and Poultry Export Certificate of Wholesomeness. *
Pork and Pork Products: PHIS will generate FSIS Form 9060-5 Meat and Poultry Export Certificate of Wholesomeness.*
The following is presented as information for the exporter only. FSIS is not responsible for the verification or certification that products intended for export to Muslim countries meet the appropriate requirements as listed below. Procedures for export certification do not include agency oversight of the Halal process or review of the authenticity of the Halal certificate.
A. Halal Labeling
- Halal certified product must be labeled with statement that product has been slaughtered according to Islamic principles. Halal labeling is an exporter and Halal organization responsibility.
- Fresh/frozen unprocessed beef product: Product bearing "Halal" label claims must be accompanied by an appropriate Halal certificate.
- Processed beef products with "Halal" label claims: Raw materials used in processed beef products with "Halal" label claims must be accompanied by an appropriate Halal certificate.
B. Halal Certification
In addition to the FSIS Form 9060-5 for bovine products, the exporters must obtain a Certificate of Islamic (Halal) Slaughter from a member of an approved Islamic Center or Islamic Organization. A Certificate of Islamic Slaughter is a certificate issued by a member of an Islamic organization recognized by the importing country to provide this service; the certificate states that animals were slaughtered according to Islamic religious requirements. This certificate must accompany beef products labeled "Halal." The certificate must be endorsed by an approved Islamic Center.
All Federally inspected establishments are eligible to export.