Apply for a Job
FSIS strives to make applying for jobs as simple as possible. Job seekers can use FSIS' online job application system to apply for select jobs. Go to the Job Opportunities page to begin searching for FSIS positions open to the general public.
You may qualify for a Food Inspector or Consumer Safety Inspector position if you have the right experience or education. This PDF gives more information about the qualifications required for these positions.
Resumes play a critical role in the selection process. Your resume must show that you have the required experience, and it needs to include all required information. Be sure to review all the requirements in the announcement. Use clear language. Provide details. Cite specific examples. The resume writing tips in the below PDF are provided to help you avoid common pitfalls.
An effective resume gives others a clear picture of you. It’s worth the time and effort you need to put forth to write a great resume. While there are no guarantees, you are likely to benefit personally and professionally if you build a strong resume. You will clearly highlight your personal and professional strengths, improving your chances of being selected. The bottom line is that when job applicants write great resumes, high caliber candidates are more likely to be selected. Effective resume writing helps the Agency put the right person in the right place at the right time.
Other required documents may include:
- Current/Former Career/Career-Conditional Eligibles: : MUST submit a copy of your most recent Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50 or equivalent) showing that you are/were in the competitive service, as well as the highest grade (or promotion potential) held, on a permanent basis.
- VEOA Eligibles: MUST submit Veteran's Preference documentation, for consideration: DD214, VA letter, SF-15 if claiming 10 pt. preference OR if you currently on active duty, a certification of expected discharge or release from active duty under honorable conditions dated within the last 120 days.
- Interchange Agreement with Other Merit Systems Eligibles: MUST submit documentation of eligibility as listed in each individual interchange agreement.
- VRA or 30% Disabled Veteran Eligibles: MUST submit a copy of your DD214, VA letter, SF-15 if claiming 10 pt. preference OR if you currently on active duty; a certification of expected discharge or release from active duty under honorable conditions dated within the last 120 days.
- Peace Corps Volunteers/Personnel Eligibles: MUST submit documentation of no less than 36 months of continuous service without a break in service of 3 days or more and separated within the last 3 years.
- Schedule A, Persons with Disabilities Appointment Eligibles: MUST submit a copy of your Schedule A letter from a physician, local, state or federal rehabilitation office citing your eligibility under 5 CFR 213.3102 (u).
- Non-Competitive Reassignment/Transfer/Reinstatement Eligibles: MUST submit a copy of your most recent Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50 or equivalent) in the competitive service with the same or higher promotion potential.
- Miscellaneous Authorities Not Regulated by the Office of Personnel Management Eligibles: : (Postal Career Service Employees, Postal Service Commission Employees, GAO, US Courts, etc.) MUST submit a copy of your current Notification of Personnel Action (or equivalent) that reflects your eligibility.
- Certain Family Members Eligible under E.O. 12721: MUST submit a copy of your most recent non-award SF-50 and performance appraisal.
- Certain Military Spouses Eligible under E.O. 13473: MUST submit a copy of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders, issued within the last 2 years, that lists you as authorized to accompany the Military member to the new duty permanent station; OR verification of the member's 100% disability (VA Letter); and/or verification of the member's death while on active duty (DD-1300 and Death Certificate) AND verification of the marriage to the service member (i.e., a marriage license or other legal documentation verifying marriage).
- Foreign Service Eligibles: : MUST submit a copy of your most recent Foreign Service Notification of Personnel Action, showing that you were/are serving under an unlimited, career-type appointment AND have completed at least 1 year of continuous service without a break of a workday under one or more non-temporary Foreign Service appointments.
- CTAP/ICTAP Required Documentation Reduction-In-Force: Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; AND most recent performance evaluation; AND SF-50 demonstrating your separation or the position you will be separated from
- Worker's Compensation Separation: Agency certification of inability to place employee AND Notification of Separation OR Separation SF-50.
- Disability Annuity Termination: Notification from OPM of disability annuity termination AND Separation SF-50 of the last position held.
- Military Reserve or National Guard Technician Special Disability Retirement Annuity under 5 U.S.C. 8337(h) or 8456: Certification of special disability retirement annuity from a military department or National Guard Bureau AND Separation SF-50 of the last position held.
For more information on different appointment eligibility and requirements for documentation, visit https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-information/competitive-hiring/#url=Types-of-Appointments