Federal Meat Inspection Act
§602. Congressional statement of findings.
§603. Inspection of meat and meat food products.
- (a) Examination of animals before slaughtering; diseased animals slaughtered separately and carcasses examined.
- (b) Humane methods of slaughter.
§604. Post mortem examination of carcasses and marking or labeling; destruction of carcasses condemned; reinspection.
§605. Examination of carcasses brought into slaughtering or packing establishments, and of meat food products issued from and returned thereto; conditions for entry.
§606. Inspectors of meat food products; marks of inspection; destruction of condemned products; products for export.
§607. Labeling, marking, and container requirements.
- (a) Labeling receptacles or coverings of meat or meat food products inspected and passed; supervision by inspectors.
- (b) Information on articles or containers; legible form.
- (c) Labeling: type styles and sizes; definitions and standards of identity or composition; standards of fill of container; consistency of Federal and Federal-State standards.
- (d) Sales under false or misleading name, other marking or labeling or in containers of misleading form or size; trade names, and other marking, labeling, and containers approved by Secretary.
- (e) Use withholding directive respecting false or misleading marking, labeling, or container; modification of false or misleading matter; hearing; withholding use pending proceedings; finality of Secretary's action; judicial review; application of section 194 of title 7.
- (f) Lamb and mutton
§608. Sanitary inspection and regulation of slaughtering and packing establishments; rejection of adulterated meat or meat food products.
§609. Examination of animals and food products thereof, slaughtered and prepared during nighttime.
§610. Prohibited acts.
- (a) Slaughtering animals or preparation of articles capable of use as human food.
- (b) Humane methods of slaughter.
- (c) Sales, transportation, and other transactions.
- (d) Adulteration or misbranding.
§611. Devices, marks, labels, and certificates; simulations.
- (a) Devices to be made under authorization of Secretary.
- (b) Other misconduct.
§613. Plans and reassessments.
§615. Inspection of carcasses, meat of which is intended for export.
§616. Inspectors of carcasses, etc., meat of which is intended for export; certificates of condition.
§617. Clearance prohibited to vessel carrying meat for export without inspector's certificate.
§618. Delivery of inspectors' certificates, and of copies.
§619. Marking, labeling, or other identification of kinds of animals of articles' derivation; separate establishments for preparation and slaughtering activities.
- (a) Adulteration or misbranding prohibition; compliance with inspection, building construction standards, and other provisions; humane methods of slaughter; treatment as domestic articles subject to this chapter and food, drug, and cosmetic provisions; marking and labeling; personal consumption exemption.
- (b) Terms and conditions for destruction.
- (c) Payment of storage, cartage, and labor charges by owner or consignee; liens.
- (d) Prohibition.
- (e) Reports to Congressional committees.
- (f) Inspection and other standards; applicability, enforcement, etc.; certifications.
- (g) Administration of animal drugs or antibiotics; terms and conditions; entry order violations.
- (h) Reciprocal meat inspection requirement.
§621. Inspectors to make examinations provided for; appointment; duties; regulations.
§622. Bribery of or gifts to inspectors or other officers and acceptance of gifts.
§623. Exemptions from inspection requirements.
- (a) Personal slaughtering and custom slaughtering for personal, household, guest, and employee uses.
- (b) Territorial exemption; refusal, withdrawal, or modification.
- (c) Pizzas containing meat food products.
- (d) Adulteration and misbranding provisions applicable to inspection-free articles.
§624. Storage and handling regulations; violations; exemption of establishments subject to non-Federal jurisdiction.
§625. Inapplicability of certain requirements to catfish.
§641. Prohibition of subchapter I inspection of articles not intended for use as human food; denaturation or other identification prior to distribution in commerce; inedible articles.
§642. Recordkeeping requirements.
- (a) Classes of persons bound; scope of disclosure; access to places of business; examination of records, facilities, and inventories; copies; samples.
- (b) Period of maintenance.
§643. Registration of business, name of person, and trade names.
§644. Regulation of transactions, transportation, or importation of 4-D animals to prevent use as human food.
§645. Federal provisions applicable to State or Territorial business transactions of a local nature and not subject to local authority.
661. Federal and State cooperation.
- (a) Congressional statement of policy.
- (b) Single State agency; subordinate governmental unit as part of State agency.
- (c) State meat inspection requirements.
- (d) ''State'' defined.
§671. Inspection services; refusal or withdrawal; hearing; business unfitness based upon certain convictions; other provisions for withdrawal of services unaffected; responsible connection with business; finality of Secretary's actions; judicial review; record.
§672. Administrative detention; duration; pending judicial proceedings; notification of governmental authorities; release.
§673. Seizure and condemnation.
- (a) Proceedings in rem; libel of information; jurisdiction; disposal by destruction or sale; proceeds into the Treasury; sales restrictions; bond; court costs and fees, storage, and other expenses against claimants; proceedings in admiralty; jury trial; United States as plaintiff.
- (b) Condemnation or seizure under other provisions unaffected.
§674. Federal court jurisdiction of enforcement and injunction proceedings and other kinds of cases; limitations of section 607(e) of this title.
§675. Assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain persons; murder; protection of such persons.
- (a) Misdemeanors; felonies: intent to defraud and distribution of adulterated articles; good faith.
- (b) Minor violations; written notice of warning of criminal and civil proceedings.
§677. Other Federal laws applicable for administration and enforcement of chapter; location of inquiries; jurisdiction of Federal courts.
§678. Non-Federal jurisdiction of federally regulated matters; prohibition of additional or different requirements for establishments with inspection services and as to marking, labeling, packaging, and ingredients; recordkeeping and related requirements; concurrent jurisdiction over distribution for human food purposes of adulterated or misbranded and imported articles; other matters.
§679. Application of Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.
- (a) Authorities under food, drug, and cosmetic provisions unaffected.
- (b) Enforcement proceedings; detainer authority of representatives of Secretary of Health and Human Services.
§679a. Safe Meat and Poultry Inspection Panel
- (a) Establishment
- (b) Duties
- (c) Secretarial response
- (d) Composition of panel
- (e) Nominations
- (f) Travel expenses
- (g) Conflicts of interest
- (h) Exemption
- (i) Funding
§679b. Pasteurization of meat and poultry
- (1) In general
- (2) Authorization of appropriations
§679c. Expansion of Food Safety Inspection Service activities
- (a) In general
- (b) Authorization of appropriations
§680. Authorization of appropriations.
§683. Interstate shipment of meat inspected by Federal and State agencies for certain small establishments
- (a) Definitions
- (b) Authority of Secretary to allow shipments
- (c) Reimbursement of State costs
- (d) Coordination between Federal and State agencies
- (e) Audits
- (f) Technical assistance division
- (g) Transition grants
- (h) Violations
- (i) Effect
- (j) Effective date