Public Health Veterinarian (PHV)
Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) veterinarians hold critical positions that uphold the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service’s (FSIS’) commitment to ensure food safety.
- Conduct antemortem and postmortem inspection of meat and poultry products.
- Conduct foreign animal disease surveillance.
- Supervise and assist food inspectors on the inspection line to ensure compliance with federal regulations.
- Conduct inspection of egg products.
- Enforce federal meat and poultry inspection procedures, including animal welfare laws.
What Does a PHV Do?
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Health, dental, vision, life and long-term care insurance options
- Flexible spending accounts
- Federal government retirement plan
For more information:
Recruitment and Retention
- A multi-year recruitment incentive may be available for newly appointed in-plant veterinarians to positions with a full performance level of GS-12, regardless of location.
- Former employees with at least a 90-day break in service may also be eligible.
- We offer creditable service for annual leave accrual. For more information, visit: Careers | Food Safety Inspection Service (usda.gov)
New job announcement has the following open & closing dates: 10/1/2021 – 10/28/2021
How To Apply
Apply online at USAJOBS.gov. Enter "FSIS veterinarian" in the search box and you will see job announcements.