Workplace Violence Prevention and Response
Safety for all FSIS employees is of paramount concern to the Agency. The FSIS Workplace Violence Prevention and Response Program provides guidance, training, reporting systems, and management of incidents related to workplace violence prevention and response. Workplace violence is any type of violence, threat, intimidation, assault, harassment, interference, or other disruptive behavior in the workplace. Workplace violence will not be tolerated in FSIS because it is harmful to employees, and it prevents us from fulfilling our mission. No one can predict when this type of behavior will occur, which makes it even more important to be aware of the warning signs.
A threat is any gesture or oral or written expression that conveys intent to cause physical harm to persons or property. Critical threats are the actual use or display of firearms or other weapons with intent to harm, physical hitting, pushing, emotional verbal threats, destroying property, and stalking. Developmental threats are verbal or written remarks, conversations involving talk of guns that are perceived as threatening, nonverbal threats, and menacing gestures.
Workplace Violence Prevention and Response Program Manager
Kesha Rawlings, MA, Psy.D.
Workplace Violence Prevention & Response Program
Employee Safety, Health and Wellness
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Rm. 2140, South Bldg.
24 Hour Pager Number: 1-877-987-3747 (1-877-WVP-FSIS)
For Incidents of Imminent Danger
- Find a safe place
- Call 911
- Call OIG: 1-800-424-9192
- Call Supervisor
- Document on FSIS Form 4735-4
- REPORT ALL INCIDENTS
The key to preventing workplace violence is to recognize the warning signs and involve the appropriate resources as soon as possible. Timely notification and documentation of potential problems is essential. Be familiar with Agency policy, directives, and contact information so that you can take the steps necessary for ensuring a safe workplace. For more information, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (877) 987-3747.
Have a Question? Contact a Team Member
Submit questions to the Workplace Violence Prevention and Response Program.
- Intimidation, harassment, inappropriate aggressive behavior, and other forms of threatening behavior are covered by FSIS Directive 4735.4, Reporting Assault, Threats, Intimidation, or Interference (Rev. 3)
- FSIS Directive 4735.7, Rev. 1, Industry Accusations Against FSIS Program Employees
- FSIS Notice 56-06, Firearms At The Worksite
- FSIS Notice 67-10, Workplace Violence Policy Statement
- USDA Handbook on Workplace Violence Prevention and Response (Oct 2001; PDF Only)
- Third Annual Report on Workplace Violence Prevention, Fiscal Year 2001, November 2001 (PDF Only)
- Conflict and Violence in the Food Safety Workplace: A Report on Meetings Convened by the Milbank Memorial Fund at the Request of the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Fulfillment of a Cooperative Agreement of September 2000