Incentives and Benefits
This information is time-sensitive.
- Information on Voluntary Early Retirement Authority (VERA) and Voluntary Separation Incentive Payments (VSIPs) available through calendar year 2016
- Summary of New Recruitment and Retention Flexibilities: OFO In-Plant Veterinary Medical Officers, Food Inspectors, and Consumer Safety Inspectors
General Information on Employee Benefits
Working in partnership with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and other USDA agencies, FSIS is building a seamless and science-based national system to ensure food safety and food defense. FSIS is relying heavily on risk assessments as a means of guiding food safety policy decisions. Our goal is to protect the public health by significantly reducing the prevalence of foodborne hazards associated with consumption of meat, poultry, and egg products.
In the area of professional development, opportunities are available for FSIS employees who want to learn. For instance, a popular self-paced program allows you to study at home, learn new skills on the job, and take formal college training in a subject area important to agency or personal growth. We also offer training courses online. Technical training is a high priority, and we are extending the concept to include more science; for example, risk analysis and epidemiology. We also have several initial and refresher training programs in place for supervisors and managers.
Working in an organization this large and with so many location throughout the United States has its advantages. Many opportunities exist to take a similar or different position in another region of the country. Scientific, professional, managerial, and other opportunities are available throughout FSIS.
Personal initiative, job performance, and to some extent geographic mobility will determine how quickly and how far you progress.
In addition to salary, we offer a competitive benefits package, which includes: paid vacation, sick leave, a wide range of health insurance options, life insurance, and a matching retirement fund.
- In some locations we offer a recruitment bonus and may pay some of the moving expenses to your first duty station.
- Employees competitively selected for promotion are often eligible for a government-paid move should geographic relocation be necessary.
- In some areas of the country, we offer transit subsidies for those who use public transportation to and from work.
- FSIS is a qualifying employer of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF Program).| PSLF Program Fact Sheet (PDF Only)
- We actively support and promote family-friendly workplace alternatives to include less than full-time work schedules in some locations, as well as an Employee Assistance Program to assist employees with family and work issues.
Our employees take their jobs very seriously, because they know the public is counting on them. As an employee of one of the largest public health regulatory agencies in the U.S. Government, you too can have the satisfaction of protecting the public.
The Food Safety and Inspection Service invites you to consider employment with us. We have a job worth doing!
For more information call FSIS Human Resources at 1-800-370-3747 (Minneapolis, MN), or visit us at http://www.foodsafetyjobs.gov.