Recruitment, Relocation and Retention Incentives: FSIS Public Health Veterinarian
Effective May 1, 2016
Use this information along with the information on How to Apply: FSIS Public Health Veterinarian.
- In select areas that are difficult to staff, a multi-year recruitment incentive or a one-time bonus may be available for newly appointed in-plant veterinarians.
- Former employees with at least a 90-day break in service who are placed in a difficult-to-staff area may also be eligible.
Multi-Year Relocation Incentive and Relocation Expenses
- Multiple-year incentive may be offered to current in-plant Veterinary Medical Officers who accept reassignment from a location that is not hard-to-fill, to a difficult-to-staff location.
- Moving expenses will be paid in conjunction with relocation incentives for Veterinary Medical Officers who relocate to a difficult-to-staff location; one-year signed service agreement to remain in federal service contingent with move.
Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)
- May be offered to newly-appointed employees in difficult-to-staff locations as a recruitment flexibility or may be offered to current employees for retention purposes if employee meets criteria (e.g., likely to leave federal service and departure would affect agency’s ability to carry out mission).
- $10,000 gross payment per year for three years, totaling $30,000 before applicable taxes, with a signed three-year service agreement.
- Direct Hire Authority has been granted government-wide for Veterinary Medical Officer positions due to a severe shortage of candidates. This authority permits hiring without regard to certain competitive requirements. Candidates under this announcement are not rated or ranked and individuals are not awarded preference for their status as a veteran. Applicants are still strongly encouraged to provide complete information about their job-related experience and education, as well as provide documentation related to veteran's preference.
Creditable Service for Annual Leave Accrual
- FSIS offers Creditable Service for Annual Leave Accrual as a recruitment incentive that will allow new employees to receive credit toward their annual leave (vacation) accrual for directly-related work performed either outside the federal government or during active duty in a uniformed service. This incentive is available for all newly-hired Veterinary Medical Officers.
Paid Relocation to First Post of Duty
- FSIS will pay travel and transportation expenses to the Veterinary Medical Officer’s first post of duty. This incentive is available to new federal appointees in this position and it only includes the actual costs incurred because of the employee's travel and transportation of household goods to the first post of duty.