Mandatory Training on the Employee Role in the USDA Enterprise Performance Management Application System
This notice explains the employee role in the USDA Enterprise Performance Management Application (EPMA) system and provides dates, links, and instructions to FSIS employees on completing the mandatory EPMA training course in AgLearn.
October 1, 2020 marked the introduction of USDA’s two-tier performance management program for all non-executive employees. Its launch was accompanied by the release of the Department-wide EPMA system. EPMA was first established as a supervisory tool for rating and reviewing officials. Since its deployment, EPMA has been used by supervisors to fulfill their performance management responsibilities.
Recent EPMA enhancements incorporated the capability for non-supervisory employees to access and use the system. Beginning with the fourth quarterly conversation with their supervisors in 2022 and going forward, employees are to:
View and print their individual performance plans and appraisals;
Sign their performance plans and appraisals electronically, eliminating the need to physically sign, scan, and upload documents (saving time and resources);
Acknowledge formal quarterly conversations with their supervisors; and
Ensure their basic information is updated (i.e., their supervisor information).
- EPMA TRAINING INSTRUCTIONS
- To ensure employees receive instructions about the EPMA employee role, they are to complete a mandatory training module in AgLearn, which consists of watching a 22-minute video outlining the performance management workflow and the employee functionality. The EPMA Employee Role training can be found in the “My Mandatory Training” section of employees’ AgLearn dashboards and must be completed by September 15, 2022.
- The training will be assigned to FSIS employee AgLearn profiles, so employees will not need to search for the course. AgLearn will automatically track completion. There is no testing or attestation requirement.
- SYSTEM USE
- FSIS employees are to complete the training by September 15, 2022 and to utilize EPMA to acknowledge their fourth quarterly conversations by September 30, 2022. Employees are to utilize EPMA from that point forward for all performance management activities.
- FSIS employees have the option to utilize EPMA to acknowledge their third quarterly conversations if they complete the training by June 30, 2022.
- After completing the training, reference materials will be available within EPMA in the form of videos and individual step-by-step online job aids to help employees perform different functions while using the system.
- Please note performance plans and ratings prior to the FY21 performance cycle will not be accessible in EPMA. Employees are to continue to rely on e-OPF, supervisors, reviewing officials, or other resource management staff to provide their performance plans and appraisals prior to FY21.
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- Refer questions regarding this notice or performance management policy to the Office of Human Resources, Human Resources Business Systems Division, Program Management and Information Systems Branch at FSISHR1@usda.gov with “Performance Management” in the subject line.
- Refer questions related to AgLearn to the Office of Employee Experience and Development, Center for Learning at FSISAgLearn@usda.gov or 1-833-ASK-OEED (1-833-275-6333).
- Refer EPMA system-related questions to the designated listed here: Program Area or District EPMA Data Administrators.