Internal Control and Audit Division: Western Investigative Branch
The Western Investigative Branch (WIB) serves as the Agency's control point for all Office of Inspector General (OIG) hotline/whistleblower complaints and/or allegations of fraud and abuse in accordance with the Whistleblower Protection Act and the Inspector General Act. WIB also performs a broad range of investigations and program assessments. The investigations and program assessments are conducted in accordance with applicable statutory and regulatory requirements. Misconduct investigations include allegations of fraud, waste, abuse, and mismanagement. Investigations and program assessments may involve the analysis of complex, interrelated, personnel misconduct and program performance issues.
Program assessments are conducted to ensure that programs are operating in conformity with established goals, regulations and standards. WIB assesses how programs are being implemented, determines whether sufficient controls are in place to prevent waste, fraud, abuse and mismanagement, and identifies whether more efficient and effective approaches can be recommended.
- Conduct misconduct investigations responding to allegations of fraud, waste, and mismanagement.
- Conduct special inquiries, program assessments, and a broad range of internal and external investigations.
- Serve as the Agency's Coordinator for all OIG hotline referral/complaints for investigations from the Administrator and program areas of FSIS.
- Maintain a comprehensive database for all OIG hotline/whistleblower complaints, special investigations, inquires and program assessments.
- Serve as the OPEER repository for instances reported to the OIG of alleged harassment, interference, and intimidation involving the regulated industries and FSIS personnel.
- Participate in developing investigatory policies, directives, and guidelines.
- Agreement Between the United States Department of Agriculture Office of the Inspector General and the Food Safety and Inspection Service (May 23, 2008; PDF, Scanned) | PDF, Text Only
- 7 CFR— Agriculture, Subtitle A, Office of the Secretary Part 2, Subpart A, Section 2.33, Inspector General
- 7 CFR—Agriculture, Chapter XXVI, Office of Inspector General, Part 2610, Organization, Functions, and Delegations of Authority
- Departmental Manual 3505-000, USDA Cyber Security Incident Handling Procedures
- FSIS Directive 4735.3, Rev 1, Employee Responsibilities and Conduct (PDF Only)
- FSIS Directive 4735.4, Revision 3, Reporting Assault, Harassment, Interference, Intimidation, or Threat (PDF Only) | Amendment 1 (PDF Only)
- FSIS Directive 4735.7, Revision 1, Industry Complaints Against FSIS Program Employees (PDF Only)
- FSIS Directive 4735.9, Revision 1, Ethics and Conflicts of Interest (PDF Only)
- FSIS Notice 28-09, Annual Notice of Right to Request Union Representation (PDF Only)
- FSIS Notice 37-07, Workplace Violence Policy Statement (PDF Only)
- FSIS Notice 56-06, Firearms at the Worksite (PDF Only)