Internal Control and Audit Division: Federal State Audit Branch
The Federal State Audit Branch (FSAB) conducts comprehensive audits of Federal and State Meat and Poultry Inspection (MPI) programs. This includes on-site and desk audits of records, reports, and other relevant documents to determine compliance with regulatory requirements. FSAB provides feedback on these audits to Agency and State officials. Findings from these audit activities provide pertinent information that can be used to ensure the public health objectives are being met. FSAB provides technical expertise in designing methods, protocols, and procedures for reviewing and auditing Federal and State inspection programs.
- Conduct systematic and special audits of Federal and State MPI programs to assess inspection operations and activities.
- Conduct comprehensive State MPI program audits to ensure that States are enforcing laws and regulations that are "at least equal to" the requirements of the Federal Meat Inspection Act, Poultry Products Inspection Act, Humane Methods of Slaughter Act, and all relevant regulations.
- Conduct special inquiries and audits to assess inspection program operations and activities, analyze results, and develop recommendations and reports.
- Provide technical expertise in the formulation of data collection, planning, executing, and reporting findings from audits of Federal and State MPI programs.
The Review of State Programs Summary Report and Individual State Reports have been published to the FSIS Web site.
- U.S. Code Title 21 - Food & Drugs, Chapter 10, Poultry and Poultry Products Inspection, Section 454 | PDF
- U.S. Code Title 21 - Food & Drugs, Chapter 12, Meat Inspection, Section 661 | PDF
- FSIS Directive 1090.2, Audits of Management Controls (PDF Only)
- FSIS Directive 5710.1, Designation of States for Federal Meat and Poultry Inspection
- FSIS Directive 5720.2, Revision 3, State Cooperative Inspection Programs (PDF Only)
- FSIS Directive 5720.3, Revision 3, Comprehensive Review Methodology of State Meat and Poultry Inspection Programs (PDF Only)
- FSIS "At Least Equal To" Guidelines for State Meat and Poultry Cooperative Inspection Programs, July 2008 (PDF Only)