Internal Control and Audit Division: Eastern Investigative Branch
The Eastern Investigative Branch (EIB) serves as the Agency's control point for all Office of Inspector General (OIG) hotline/whistleblower complaints and/or allegations of fraud and abuse in accordance with the Whistleblower Protection Act and the Inspector General Act. These investigations help to ensure transparency in Agency operations and maintain the public's trust. EIB is responsible for investigating all complaints that are requested by the program areas, that all allegations are addressed in accordance with relevant standards, and that responses are forwarded to the FSIS Labor and Employee Relations Division and OIG as required.
EIB conducts employee misconduct investigations and inquiries including allegations of fraud, waste, and mismanagement in FSIS programs. Investigations are focused on misconduct by FSIS employees, mismanagement or abuse issues involving violations of rules, regulations, or law that, even if proven, will not likely result in criminal prosecution. The EIB administers oaths, obtains sworn statements, and refer matters not within the scope of the Agency's investigative authority to the OIG. All information, complaints, or allegations received within the Agency that reflects adversely upon its integrity or the conduct of employees will receive a thorough, timely, and impartial inquiry. EIB performs follow-up to assure that administrative or other appropriate actions are taken in an expeditious manner.
- Conduct misconduct investigations responding to allegations of fraud, waste, and mismanagement.
- Serve as the Agency's coordinator for all OIG whistleblower/hotline referrals and requested investigations.
- Maintain Agency a comprehensive database for all OIG hotline/whistleblower complaints, special investigations, inquires and program assessments.
- Participate in developing investigatory policies, directives, and guidelines.
- Agreement Between the United States Department of Agriculture Office of the Inspector General and the Food Safety and Inspection Service (May 23, 2008; PDF, Scanned) | PDF, Text Only
- 7 CFR— Agriculture, Subtitle A, Office of the Secretary Part 2, Subpart A, Section 2.33, Inspector General
- 7 CFR—Agriculture, Chapter XXVI, Office of Inspector General, Part 2610, Organization, Functions, and Delegations of Authority
- Departmental Manual 3505-000, USDA Cyber Security Incident Handling Procedures
- FSIS Directive 4735.3, Rev 1, Employee Responsibilities and Conduct (PDF Only)
- FSIS Directive 4735.4, Revision 3, Reporting Assault, Harassment, Interference, Intimidation, or Threat (PDF Only) | Amendment 1 (PDF Only)
- FSIS Directive 4735.7, Revision 1, Industry Complaints Against FSIS Program Employees (PDF Only)
- FSIS Directive 4735.9, Revision 1, Ethics and Conflicts of Interest (PDF Only)
- FSIS Notice 28-09, Annual Notice of Right to Request Union Representation (PDF Only)
- FSIS Notice 37-07, Workplace Violence Policy Statement (PDF Only)
- FSIS Notice 56-06, Firearms at the Worksite (PDF Only)