Internal Control and Audit Division (ICAD)
The Internal Control and Audit Division (ICAD) mission is:
- to support FSIS management in carrying out management control responsibilities in accordance with the Federal Managers Financial Integrity Act;
- audit and assess the adequacy of management and program controls and operational performance;
- audit Federal and State establishments and inspection systems; and
- conduct personnel misconduct and a range of selected administrative, incident and selected limited criminal investigations in accordance with the Whistleblower Protection Act, the Inspector General Act, and other relevant statutes to protect against waste, fraud, abuse, and mismanagement.
ICAD conducts independent and objective audits, investigations, and critical analyses of FSIS programs to help FSIS achieve its public health objectives and ensure that programs are managed with integrity and in compliance with Federal laws.
ICAD assists the Agency with monitoring and strengthening accountability and effectiveness of its programs and operations through advocating the maintenance of sound systems of management controls to ensure
- the Agency's strategic goals and objectives are accomplished,
- program and managerial accountability, and
- compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
ICAD operates as a quality assurance and program assurance agent through its independent, objective, and critical reviews and analyses of programs.
Management Control Branch (MCB)
MCB assists management officials with improving accountability, program monitoring, and continuous improvement of Agency programs and operations.
Federal State Audit Branch (FSAB)
FSAB conducts comprehensive audits of Federal and State Meat and Poultry Inspection (MPI) programs.
Eastern Investigation Branch (EIB)
EIB conducts misconduct investigations generated through requests from the Agency or the Office of Inspector General (OIG). EIB may also participate in selected program assessments.
Western Investigation Branch (WIB)
WIB conducts misconduct investigations generated through requests from the Agency or the Office of Inspector General (OIG). WIB also conducts special inquiries, program assessments, and a broad range of internal and external investigations.