FY 2011-2016 Strategic Plan: Summary
The complete Strategic Plan is available as a PDF file. (88pp, 1.9mb)
All FSIS employees are actively engaged in preventing foodborne illness and protecting public health. We are one team, with one purpose, working toward a common and extremely important goal.
As noted by Administrator Al Almanza, "This Strategic Plan encompasses our strategic intentions over the next 5 years, and will serve as a foundation document for both the long-range and day-today operations of the Agency."
We are one team, with only one purpose. And that is to protect public health. FSIS employees take pride in the fact that their jobs help prevent foodborne illness.
A main driver of this 5-year Strategic Plan is the desire for the Agency to continue to be an ever more trusted and successful public health agency—an Agency that adapts to the changing nature of food safety risks.
Summary of the Strategic Framework
Strategic Theme: Prevent Foodborne Illness
- Goal 1: Ensure that food safety inspection aligns with existing and emerging risks
- Goal 2: Maximize domestic and international compliance with food safety policies
- Goal 3: Enhance public education and outreach to improve food-handling practices
- Goal 4: Strengthen collaboration among internal and external stakeholders to prevent foodborne illness
Strategic Theme: Understand and Influence the Farm-to-Table Continuum
- Goal 5: Effectively use science to understand foodborne illness and emerging trends
- Goal 6: Implement effective policies to respond to existing and emerging risks
Strategic Theme: Empower People and Strengthen Infrastructure
- Goal 7: Empower employees with the training, resources, and tools to enable success in protecting public health
- Goal 8: Based on the defined Agency business needs, develop, maintain, and use innovative methodologies, processes, and tools, including PHIS, to protect public health efficiently and effectively and to support defined public health needs and goals
Related Information: Annual Performance Plan
The Annual Performance Plan provides a clear list of Agency priorities and a detailed roadmap of the steps FSIS intends to take during the current fiscal year to achieve its mission.