Labeling That Must Be Reviewed By The Labeling Compliance Team
|The Labeling Compliance Team (LCT) reviews certain sketch applications and all temporary applications. An application consists of a label that is attached to a completed form
FSIS 7234-1 (fillable PDF). A copy of the application with a label attached must also be provided. Additionally, the label must have all required labeling features.
- Sketch labeling with the following must be submitted to the LCT:
- Nutrient Content
- Geographical Origin
- Other Claims ("Animal Production", e.g., "No Antibiotics Administered", Breed Claims, etc.)
- Nutrition Facts
- Domestic Product Labeled in a Foreign Language
- Non Standardized Products
- Voluntary Inspected Products (e.g., Buffalo Roast)
- Flavors and Reaction Flavors
- Religious Exempt Poultry
New Review Procedure (PDF only)
- Temporary approvals can be granted for a period of up to 180 days for a deficient label. The LCT can grant a temporary approval according to certain provisions indicated in 9 CFR 317.4(f) or 381.132(f). The time granted for the temporary approval of a deficient label is in order for the company to take corrective action, e.g., printing pressure sensitive stickers or printing new labeling.
Applications submitted for temporary approval are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Information provided on each copy of the application should provide sufficient details in order for the LCT to make an informed judgement about the extenuating circumstances. Approval is granted when the provisions in 9 CFR 317.4(f) or 381.132(f) are met. It is the responsibility of the company to provide details regarding the conditions for the temporary approval, the deficient label and the extenuating circumstances surrounding the temporary approval request. Applications without sufficient information are incomplete and will be returned to the company unapproved. Additionally, the label inventory Block six of the application must be completed including the label inventory.
- Multi-ingredient standardized product labeling without the conditions stated in 1A through 1E (above) can be voluntarily submitted to LCT for sketch approval.
Last Modified May 19, 2013