|The FSIS Form 8822-4, available in fillable PDF format has been revised to include additional features that will make the evaluation process more efficient. Additional forms, which may be of interest, are available on our web site at www.fsis.usda.gov/Forms/index.asp for your convenience.
THIS FORM IS TO BE USED ONLY FOR PAPER SUBMISSIONS SENT BY MAIL, EXPRESS MAIL, COURIER, OR FAX TO THE LABELING AND PROGRAM DELIVERY DIVISION (LPDD).
- What are some of the changes made to the FSIS Form 8822-4?
The form has been revised to include:
- Phone number under firm name and address area
- Barcode and/or approval number added
- Removed final as a selection for type of approval
- Foreign country added under establishment number
- Titles updated
- Company and reviewer areas defined
- Continuation sheet
- Instructions sheet
- OMB statement
- When can I start using the new FSIS Form 8822-4?
The form is available for immediate use. Previous versions are considered obsolete.
- Do I have to use the new FSIS Form 8822-4?
The new form will be required for any paper submissions sent by US postal mail, express mail, courier, or FAX to LPDD effective May 31, 2012.
- What happens if I send in an old version of the FSIS Form 8822-4?
LPDD will allow a grace period to accept the old version only until May 31, 2012. Obsolete forms received after that date will be returned without evaluation.
- I have completed the FSIS Form 8822-4; can I send it to you electronically (i.e., email, askFSIS)?
No. LPDD does not accept label request sent by email or through askFSIS.
- Is there an alternative way to submit my label reconsideration to LPDD?
Yes. LPDD will be launching its new Labeling Submission and Approval System (LSAS) which is a secure web-based application tentatively on May 1, 2012 . For information concerning how you need to prepare to use LSAS, access: www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events
Note: The Labeling Submission and Approval System (LSAS) contains its own 8822-4 to complete. Do Not Use The Paper Submission Form.
- How do I submit FSIS Form 8822-4 to LPDD?
Instructions are provided on page 4 of the form.
- Is FSIS Form 8822-4 the only document I need to submit to get a label approval?
No. Instructions are provided on page 4 of the form. An application must also include a copy of the previous modified FSIS Form 7234-1 or the copy of the rejected letter. Include any new supporting data to justify your appeal.
- What if I do not have enough space on the form?
A continuation sheet has been included for your convenience. If you still more space, you may attach a separate sheet of paper. Please be sure to include the product name and heading Company Reason(s) for Requesting Label Reconsideration, so it may easily be identified.
- Can I make copies of the new FSIS Form 8822-4?
The form has a fill and print capability, so you may print as many copies as needed. LPDD strongly discourages the use of using copiers since this could affect the overall appearance of the application (margins, enlarging/decreasing, crooked, blurring, etc.).
- May I duplicate the form with my own computer software?
No. Only official forms are acceptable in the conduct of Agency business. Receipt of such applications may result in your application being returned without evaluation or longer processing time.
- Do I have to type the form?
Yes. See Preparation of Application on Page 4 of the instructions. The form is designed so you can fill and print. LPDD can no longer accept hand written label applications.
- LPDD has always accepted our hand written forms and copies. Why are the rules more stringent now?
LPDD will launch its new Labeling Submission and Approval System (LSAS) tentatively on May 1, 2012. Submitters will have two choices on how they can request an appeal concerning their label application to LPDD;
1) use LSAS to electronically complete the Request for Label Reconsideration process, or
2) use the current paper submission process.
All label applications will be integrated into the new system. Those Request for Label Reconsideration specifically received through paper submissions (US mail, express mail, courier, or fax) which contain hand written forms, copies, crooked or skewed applications, enlargement/decreased fonts, blurred material, etc., will be more time consuming to process and to integrated into LSAS. The efficient handling and movement of all labeling applications is dependent on the guidance we have provided.
- Can I send my Request for Label Reconsideration in by fax?
Applications will be accepted, provided the labeling is legible. The best means to ensure you paper submissions are properly prepared and legible, is to follow the Instructions for Preparation of FSIS Form 8822-4 on page 4 of the form. Provide the required amount of copies in proper sequence. Please provide a cover sheet indicating Appeal, and your contact information. Submissions longer than seven pages should be sent by mail to LPDD.
- I sent my Request for Label Reconsideration in by fax, but received either a phone call, return fax, or a letter indicating my copies were not legible and that I needed to resubmit by mail. What is the best way I can ensure that my information is legible?
Fax machines are not the best resource to send your application request to LPDD since the information can be blurred, crooked, streaked, etc., at the same time not a secure method of transmission. In addition, labels that contain color will only be received in black/white making many of the required features unreadable. The best means to ensure you paper submissions are properly prepared and legible is to follow the Instructions for Preparation of FSIS Form 8822-4 on page 4 of the form.