|The FSIS Form 7234-1, available in fillable PDF format has been revised to include additional features that will make the evaluation process more efficient. Additional forms, which may be of interest, are available on our web site at http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/forms for your convenience.
THIS FORM IS TO BE USED ONLY FOR PAPER SUBMISSIONS SENT BY MAIL, EXPRESS MAIL, COURIER, OR FAX TO THE LABELING AND PROGRAM DELIVERY DIVISION (LPDD).
- What are some of the changes made to the FSIS Form 7234-1?
The form has been revised to include:
- Type of product (i.e., Meat, Poultry, Egg, and Other (i.e., exotic species, non-amenable, voluntary, etc.)
- HAACP category checkbox
- Child Nutrition Logo and CN identification number
- Special claims, guarantees, or foreign language checklist
- Product Formula area expanded
- Processing procedures area expanded
- OMB statement
- When can I start using the new FSIS Form 7234-1?
The form is available for immediate use. Previous versions are considered obsolete.
- Do I have to use the new FSIS Form 7234-1?
The new form will be required for any paper submissions sent by US postal mail, express mail, courier, or FAX to LPDD effective May 31, 2012.
- What happens if I send in an old version of the FSIS Form 7234-1?
LPDD will allow a grace period to accept the old version only until May 31, 2012. Obsolete forms received after that date will be returned without evaluation.
- I have completed the FSIS Form 7234-1; can I send it to you electronically (i.e., email, askFSIS)?
No. LPDD does not accept label request sent by email or through askFSIS.
- Is there an alternative way to submit my label application to LPDD?
Yes. LPDD will be launching its new Labeling Submission and Approval System (LSAS) which is a secure web-based application tentatively on May 1, 2012. For information concerning how you need to prepare to use LSAS, access: www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events>
Note: The Labeling Submission and Approval System (LSAS) contains its own 7234-1 to complete. Do Not Use The Paper Submission Form.
- How do I submit FSIS Form 7234-1 to LPDD?
Instructions are provided on page 5 of the form. For additional guidance concerning label submissions, please refer to Label Application Guidance which is located at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/regulatory-compliance/labeling/labeling-procedures.
- Is FSIS Form 7234-1 the only document I need to submit to get a label approval?
No. An application must also include a copy of the label and any supporting data. Instructions are provided on page 5 of the form.
- What if I do not have enough space on the form?
A continuation sheet has been included for your convenience. If you still more space, you may attach a separate sheet of paper. Please be sure to include the product name and the block item, regardless of whether you are using the continuation sheet or a separate sheet of paper.
- Can I make copies of the new FSIS Form 7234-1?
The form has a fill and print capability, so you may print as many copies as needed. LPDD strongly discourages the use of using copiers since this could affect the overall appearance of the application (margins, enlarging/decreasing, crooked, blurring, etc.).
- May I duplicate the form with my own computer software?
No. Only official forms are acceptable in the conduct of Agency business. Receipt of such applications may result in your application being returned without evaluation or longer processing time.
- Do I have to type the form?
Yes. See Preparation of Application on Page 5 of the instructions. The form is designed so you can fill and print. LPDD can no longer accept hand written label applications.
- LPDD has always accepted our hand written forms and copies. Why are the rules more stringent now?
LPDD will launch its new Labeling Submission and Approval System (LSAS) tentatively May 1, 2012. Submitters will have two choices on how they can submit their label applications to LPDD;
1) use LSAS to electronically complete the application process, or
2) use the current paper submission process.
All label applications will be integrated into the new system. Those label applications specifically received through paper submissions (US mail, express mail, courier, or fax) which contain hand written forms, copies, crooked or skewed applications, enlargement/decreased fonts, blurred material, etc., will be more time consuming to process and to integrated into LSAS. The efficient handling and movement of labeling applications is dependent on the guidance we have provided.
- Can I send my application in by fax?
Label applications from small businesses will be accepted, provided the labeling is legible. Provide the required amount of copies in proper sequence, which is the application form FSIS Form 7234-1, label, and supporting documentation. Please provide a cover sheet indicating the reason for the fax, and your contact information. Refer to Label Application Guidance which is located at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/regulatory-compliance/labeling/labeling-procedures/label-application-guidance. The best means to ensure you paper submissions are properly prepared and legible is to follow the Instructions for Preparation of FSIS Form 7234-1 on page 5 of the form.
- I sent my application in by fax, but received either a phone call, return fax, or a letter indicating my copies were not legible and that I needed to resubmit by mail. What is the best way I can ensure that my information is legible?
Fax machines are not the best resource to send your application request to LPDD since the information can be blurred, crooked, streaked, etc., at the same time not a secure method of transmission. In addition, labels that contain color will only be received in black/white making many of the required features unreadable. The best means to ensure you paper submissions are properly prepared and legible is to follow the Instructions for Preparation of FSIS Form 7234-1 on page 5 of the form.