Committees and Task Forces
This page offers links to information about the Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC) and its subsidiary bodies (Executive Committee, Committees and Task Forces); the U.S. Codex Structure (steering committees, delegates, committee chairs) and the U.S. Codex Office.
The United States participates fully in Codex activities. Representatives of several Departments and Agencies serve as members of the policy or technical committees, delegates to Codex meetings, or committee Chairs.
- Codex Almentarius Commission (CAC)
CAC is an intergovernmental body with over 180 members, within the framework of the Joint Food Standards Programme established by the FAO and WHO.
- Codex Executive Committee (CCEXEC)
CCEXEC acts as the Executive organ of the Commission between sessions and serves as the standards management body.
Codex committees prepare draft Standards, Codes of Practice, and Guidelines for adoption by the Codex Alimentarius Commission. These pages offer background information, documents for comment, and selected documents related to the current session.
General Subject Committees develop standards that apply to all commodity committees.
- Food Additives (CCFA)
- Contaminants in Foods (CCCF)
- Food Hygiene (CCFH)
- Food Import and Export Certification and Inspection Systems (CCFICS)
- Food Labelling (CCFL)
- General Principles (CCGP)
- Methods of Analysis and Sampling (CCMAS)
- Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses (CCNFSDU)
- Pesticide Residues (CCPR)
- Residues of Veterinary Drugs in Foods (CCRVDF)
Commodity Committees develop standards for specific classes of foods.
- Cereals, Pulses and Legumes (CCCPL)
- Cocoa Products and Chocolate (CCCPC)
- Fats and Oils (CCFO)
- Fish and Fishery Products (CCFFP)
- Fresh Fruits and Vegetables (CCFFV)
- Meat Hygiene (CCMH)
- Milk and Milk Products (CCMMP)
- Natural Mineral Waters (CCNMW)
- Processed Fruits and Vegetables (CCPFV)
- Spices and Culinary Herbs (CCSCH)
- Sugars (CCS)
- Vegetable Proteins (CCVP)
Regional Coordinating Committees define the problems and needs of the region concerning food standards and food control.
- Africa (CCAFRICA)
- Asia (CCASIA)
- Europe (CCEURO)
- Latin America and the Caribbean (CCLAC)
- Near East (CCNEA)
- North America and the South West Pacific (CCNASWP)
ad hoc Intergovernmental Task Forces are short term, single issue committees.
- Animal Feeding (TFAF)
- Antimicrobial Resistance (TFAR)
- Foods Derived from Modern Biotechnology (TFMB)
- Processing and Handling of Quick Frozen Food (TFQFF)
This office, within FSIS, coordinates U.S. Codex activities.