Codex News - November 17, 2015
A summary of recent and upcoming events published biweekly; direct inquiries to USCodex@fsis.usda.gov
|Receive Email Notification of Updates to Codex News|
Recent Committee Meetings
Committee on Food Hygiene (CCFH) concluded a successful 47th Session in Boston, Massachusetts, on Friday, November 13th. Some highlights include two new work proposals and several documents recommended for adoption by the Codex Alimentarius Commission at its next session (June 2016):
Recommended for Adoption
- Proposed Draft Guidelines for the Control of Non - typhoidal Salmonella spp. in Beef and Pork Meat for adoption at Step 5/8.
- Proposed Draft Guidelines on the Application of General Principles of Food Hygiene to the Control of Foodborne Parasites for adoption at Step 5/8. In addition, the Committee agreed to request the Codex Secretariat to prepare a proposal for merging the document with the Guidelines for the control of Trichinella spp. in meat of Suidae (CAC/RCP 85-2015) and the Guidelines for the control of Taenia saginata in meat of domestic cattle (CAC/RCP 86 - 2015) to compile a guidance for the control of foodborne parasites into a single document, for consideration at the next session of CCFH (November 2016).
- Proposed Draft Annexes to the Code of Hygienic Practice for Low Moisture Foods: The Committee agreed to forward proposed draft Annex I (Examples of Microbiological Criteria for Low Moisture Foods When Deemed Appropriate in Accordance with the Principles and Guidelines for the Establishment and Application of Microbiological Criteria Related to Foods (CAC/GL 21-1997)) and proposed draft Annex II (Guidance for the Establishment of Environmental Monitoring Programs for Salmonella spp. and other Enterobacteriaceae in Low Moisture Food Processing Areas) for adoption at Step 5/8. CCFH also agreed to forward Annex III (Spices and Dried Aromatic Herbs) for adoption by the Commission (this annex was not previously in the step process). The Committee agreed to discontinue consideration of Annexes IV (Dried/ Dehydrated Fruits and Vegetables Including Edible Fungi), V (Desiccated Coconut) and VI (Groundnuts (Peanuts)) on account of the limited guidance they contained.
New Work Proposals
- Discussion Paper on the Need to Revise the Code of Hygienic Practice for Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
- Discussion Paper on the Revision of the General Principles of Food Hygiene and its HACCP Annex
A copy of a more detailed report by the U.S. Delegate will be available soon at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/international-affairs/us-codex-alimentarius/recent-delegation-reports.
The draft report of the session is currently available on the following site: http://www.codexalimentarius.org/meetings-reports/detail/en/?meeting=CCFH&session=47
The final report will be published soon by the Codex Secretariat at: http://www.codexalimentarius.org/meetings-reports/en/