Codex News - November 30, 2015
A summary of recent and upcoming events published biweekly; direct inquiries to USCodex@fsis.usda.gov
|Receive Email Notification of Updates to Codex News|
Recent Committee Meetings
Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses (CCNFSDU) held its most recent session in Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany, from November 23-27, 2015, and was successful in making progress on a number of agenda items. Some of the highlights include:
- Nutritional Reference Values (NRVs-R) for copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin E, and vitamin A were finalized and forwarded for adoption to Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC) at Step 5/8.
- Certain minimum and maximum levels of essential composition and some definitions in the draft standard for Follow up Formula were advanced to Step 4.
- On the draft standard for ready to use foods, the Committee agreed to submit this item to the CAC for approval as new work.
- On the agenda item on biofortification, the Committee discussed and refined the criteria proposed by the electronic working group, which will be used as guidance for developing an appropriate definition for biofortification.
- The Committee also decided that the proposed draft NRV-NCD for EPA and DHA long chain omega-3 fatty acids needed further review to consider additional scientific advice from NUGAG and to address the issues on the scientific sufficiency raised during the session.
A copy of a more detailed report by the U.S. Delegate will be available soon at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/international-affairs/us-codex-alimentarius/recent-delegation-reports.
The draft report of the session is currently available on the following site: http://www.codexalimentarius.org/meetings-reports/detail/en/?meeting=CCNFSDU&session=37.
The final report will be published soon by the Codex Secretariat at: http://www.codexalimentarius.org/meetings-reports/en/.
Electronic Working Groups
Committee on Processed Fruits and Vegetables (CCPFV) invites Members and Observers to participate in an online survey for the existing eWG on validating the evaluation on dry and dried products standards. The aim of the questionnaires is to evaluate whether the Codex Standards for Raisins, Dates and Pistachio nuts and/or their provisions need revision. The eWG, chaired by Brazil, has completed the first round of comments and is looking forward to the answers received on the online survey to assist the Committee in future decisions on work priorities.
Individuals in the United States interested in contributing to the responses on the online survey should contact the U.S. Codex Office (USCodex@fsis.usda.gov) by December 10, 2015. Other Codex members and Observers should request access to links for the online survey via their Codex Contact Points to complete the questionnaires by December 20th, 2015. For any additional questions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Codex Trust Fund 2: Building on the success of the current trust fund which comes to an end at the end of this month, a successor initiative, known as the Codex Trust Fund 2 (CTF2) will begin in January 2016 and will run for a period of 12 years (2016-2027). The focus of the CTF2 will shift from supporting widespread participation in Codex meetings, to supporting countries in building strong, solid and sustainable national capacity to engage in Codex.
For additional information, please visit the Codex Trust Fund website (http://www.who.int/foodsafety/areas_work/food-standard/codextrustfund/en/) which will be updated regularly with news and information.