Codex News - April 21, 2016
A summary of recent and upcoming events published biweekly; direct inquiries to USCodex@fsis.usda.gov
|Receive Email Notification of Updates to Codex News|
Upcoming Public Meetings
Committee on Food Labeling (CCFL): This is a reminder that the U.S. Codex Office will conduct a public meeting on April 21, 2016 from 1:00- 3:00 pm at the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Harvey W. Wiley Federal Building, Room 1A-003, 5100 Paint Branch Parkway, College Park, Maryland 20740. The purpose of this public meeting is to present draft US positions on the topics to be discussed at the upcoming session of the CCFL in Ottawa, Canada. For those who would like to participate by telephone, please use the following Call-in information: 1-888-844-9904; Participant Code: 5126092. The proposed agenda and relevant documents for this session are available at http://www.fao.org/fao-who-codexalimentarius/meetings-reports/detail/en/?meeting=CCFL&session=43.
Electronic Working Groups
Committee on Fresh Fruits and Vegetables (CCFFV) invites members and observers to join an eWG, chaired by the United States and co-chaired by Germany, working in English only, to consider unresolved issues with the standard layout text for CCFFV (located in brackets within Appendix VII; REP16/FFV). This includes the following sections:
- Section 3.1 – Minimum Requirements: Allocation of a note on the application of phytosanitary rules to the provisions on presence of pests and damage caused by pest in all Codex standards for fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Section 4 – Provisions concerning sizing: Point (E) - Definition of miniature produce.
- Section 5 – Provisions concerning tolerances:
- Inclusion of tolerances for decay, soft rot and internal breakdown in “Extra” Class.
- Tolerance percentage of 1% in “Extra” Class.
- Section 7.2 – Non-retail Container: Applicability of the provision to alternatively / additionally provide separate information to those indicated on the package (i.e. in the documents accompanying the shipment).
Individuals in the United States and other Codex members and Observers should send their full contact details via their Codex Contact Points to: Dorian LaFond, USA (Dorian.LaFond@ams.usda.gov) Chair, and Mrs. Ulrike Bickelmann, Germany (Ulrike.Bickelmann@ble.de) by May 31, 2016.