U.S. Codex News—Friday, October 19, 2012
A summary of recent and upcoming events published biweekly; direct inquiries to USCodex@fsis.usda.gov
Recent Committee Meetings
Committee on Processed Fruits and Vegetables (CCPFV) concluded its 26th Session today in Montego Bay, Jamaica. This Session of CCPFV, which was a co-hosted by the United States and Jamaica, was attended by 24 Member countries, 1 Member organization, and 4 observers. The Committee agreed on the following:
- To forward the Proposed Draft Codex Standard for Table Olives (Revision of Codex Stan 66-1981) to Step 5/8 for adoption by the 36th Session of the CAC;
- To forward the Proposed Draft Standard for Certain Canned Fruits (general provisions) and the draft proposed Annex on Mangoes for adoption at Step 5;
- To forward the General Provisions section of the Proposed Draft Codex Standard for Certain Quick Frozen Vegetables for adoption at Step 5;
- To hold the Proposed Draft Sampling Plans Including Metrological Provisions for Controlling Minimum Drained Weight of Canned Fruits and Vegetables at Step 4;
- To send to the CAC for adoption the endorsed food additive provisions and the general reference to the GSFA in the Standard for Certain Canned Citrus Fruits;
- To send the revised food additive provisions in the Standards for Preserved Tomatoes and Processed Tomato Concentrates for endorsement by CCFA;
- That the Discussion paper on the Development of a Codex Standard for Flavoured Water-Based Drinks was not in the mandate of the CCPFV and agreed to request that the CCFA consider whether water-based flavoured drinks are adequately covered by the food categories in the GSFA;
- To new work on converting the regional standard for ginseng products into a worldwide standard.
The delegate's report will be available soon on the following link: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/international-affairs/us-codex-alimentarius/recent-delegation-reports
Upcoming Public Meetings
Committee on Food Hygiene (CCFH) will hold a public meeting to go over the agenda for its next Session on October 23 from 1:00-4:00 p.m., in the Jamie L. Whitten Building of USDA, 1400 Independence Ave. SW, Washington DC, Room 107-A. Individuals may also participate via teleconference by calling 1-888-858-2144; Participant Code: 6208658. The upcoming Session of CCFH will be held in New Orleans, Louisiana, from November 12-16, 2012.
Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses (CCNFSDU) will hold a public meeting to go over the agenda for its next Session on November 7 from 1:00-4:00 p.m., at the Wiley Building of the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), 5100 Paint Branch Parkway, College Park, MD, Room 1A001 and 1A002. Individuals may also participate via teleconference by calling 1-888-858-2144; Participant Code: 6208658. The upcoming Session of CCNFSDU will be held in Bad Soden, Germany, from December 3-7, 2012.
Committee on Food Labelling (CCFL) invites Member countries and observer organizations to join an electronic Working Group (eWG), led by the European Union, to revise the Guidelines for the Production, Processing, Labelling and Marketing of Organically Produced Foods (GL 32-1999) to include aquaculture animals and seaweed. The document will eventually be circulated at Step 3 for comments which will then be considered by a physical Working Group (pWG) that will meet immediately before the next Session of CCFL, scheduled for May 2013 in Charlottetown, PEI, Canada. Individuals in the United States interested in contributing to the eWG should send their name, official title, and email address to the U.S. Codex Office (USCodex@fsis.usda.gov). Codex Member countries and observer organizations interested in participating in this eWG should provide the name(s), official title, and email address of their representative(s) directly to Richard Bates ( Richard.Bates@ec.europa.eu) and Maria Fladl ( Maria.Fladl@ec.europa.eu) with a copy to the EU Codex Contact Point ( email@example.com) by November 5.
Committee on Residues of Veterinary Drugs in Foods (CCRVDF) has issued a Circular Letter (CL 2012/30-RVDF) requesting comments/information on the Priority List of Veterinary Drugs for Evaluation or Reevaluation by JECFA. The document, which includes the template to follow in the Annex, may be located at: ftp://ftp.fao.org/codex/Circular_Letters/CxCL2012/cl12_30e.pdf .
For those interested in submitting proposals for consideration by the U.S. Delegation, please submit your comments to the U.S. Codex Office (USCodex@fsis.usda.gov) by April 26. Codex Member countries and observer organizations interested in submitting comments/information should send it to the CCRVDF Secretariat in the U.S. Codex Office ( CCRVDF-USSEC@fsis.usda.gov) with a copy to the Codex Secretariat (firstname.lastname@example.org) by May 30, 2013.
The joint JMPR Secretariat has published the Summary report of the 2012 JMPR and is available via the following links:
- FAO website: http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templates/agphome/documents/Pests_Pesticides/JMPR/2012_JMPR_Summary_Report__F2_.pdf
- WHO website: http://www.who.int/foodsafety/chem/jmpr/summary_2012.pdf