U.S. Codex News—Friday, November 15, 2013
Recent Committee Meetings
Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses (CCNFSDU) held its 35th Session in Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany from November 4-8, 2013. At this session, the Committee agreed to forward to Step 5 the proposed draft revision of the Codex General Principles for the Addition of Essential Nutrients to Foods. The Committee agreed to submit for approval by the Codex Alimentarius Commission a proposal for new work on the potential nutrient reference value (NRV) for potassium in relation to the risk of diet-related non-communicable disease. The Committee will continue working on the revision of four documents:
- The proposed draft additional or revised nutrient reference values for labeling purposes in the Guidelines on Nutrition Labeling with electronic working group (eWG) led by Australia);
- Amendment of the Standard for Processed Cereal-Based Foods for Infants and Young Children to include a New Part B for Underweight Children, with eWG led by India;
- The proposed draft revision of the list of Food Additives, with an eWG to consider the use of additives in foods for infants and young children; and
- Review of the Standard for Follow-up Formula, with an eWG led by New Zealand.
At the request from the Committee on Food Labelling, the Committee agreed to establish a working group to consider the “free” of trans-fatty acids claim. . The Committee also agreed to consider a discussion paper and draft project document on biofortification at the next session.
Committee on Food Hygiene (CCFH) held its 45th Session in Ha Noi, Viet Nam, November 11-16, 2013. The session was co-hosted by the United States and Viet Nam. The committee was very productive and recommended that the Codex Alimentarius Commission adopt the following documents at step 5/8:
- Draft Guidelines for Control of Specific Zoonotic Parasites in Meat: Trichinella spp. in Meat of Suidae.
- Draft Guidelines for Control of Specific Zoonotic Parasites in Meat: Taenia Saginata in Meat of Domestic Cattle.
- Draft Code of Hygienic Practice for Spices and Dried Aromatic Herbs
The Committee agreed to undertake new work on the Development of Guidelines for the Control of Nontyphoidal Salmonella in Beef and Pork Meat. The project document for this new work was developed and submitted by the United States. Additionally, the CCFH agreed to undertake new work on the development of Guidelines on the Application of General Principles of Food Hygiene to the Control of Foodborne Parasites. Electronic working groups (eWG) will be established, with the U.S. and Denmark to co-chair the eWG on Salmonella, and Japan and Canada co-chairing the eWG on parasites. The Codex Secretariat will announce the start of these eWGs and invite participation by member countries and observer organizations.
The U.S. Delegate Report for each of these committee sessions will soon be published at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/international-affairs/us-codex-alimentarius/recent-delegation-reports
The Codex Secretariat will publish the official Reports of these sessions at: http://www.codexalimentarius.org/meetings-reports/en/
Electronic Working Groups (eWG)
China invites member countries of the Committee on Asia (CCAsia) and observer organizations to participate in an eWG to develop a discussion paper on (a) the classification of “compressed soybean curd” and (b) the food additive provision for “composite/flavored soybean milk” for the proposed draft regional standard on non-fermented soybean products. CCAsia member countries and observer organizations interested in participating in this eWG should provide the name(s), official title, and email address of their representative(s) to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org by November 30, 2013. Parties in the United States that would like to offer advice for a U.S. observer role should contact the U.S. Codex Office (email@example.com).