U.S. Codex News—Friday, October 18, 2013
Upcoming Public Meetings
Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses (CCNFSDU): USDA and FDA have rescheduled the public meeting for October 28, 2013, from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. to review draft U.S. positions on agenda items that will be considered at the next CCNFSDU, scheduled for November 4-8, 2013, in Bad Soden a.T., Germany. The public meeting will take place ONLY by teleconference with the following coordinates: 1-866-859-5767; Participant Code: 2225276.
Agenda items include:
- Proposed Draft Additional or Revised Nutrient Reference Values for Labelling Purposes in the Codex Guidelines on Nutrition Labelling at Step 4;
- Proposed Draft Revision of the Codex General Principles for the Addition of Essential Nutrients to Foods (CAC/GL 9-1987) at Step 4;
- Proposed Draft Amendment of the Standard for Processed Cereal-Based Foods for Infants and Young Children (CODEX STAN 74-1981) to Include a New Part B for Underweight Children at Step 4;
- Review of the Codex Standard for Follow-up Formula (CODEX STAN 156-1987);
- a Discussion Paper on a Potential NRV for Potassium in relation to the risk of NCD; and
- a Discussion Paper on Biofortification.
Committee on Food Hygiene (CCFH): USDA and FDA will convene a public meeting on October 23, 2013, from 1:00 PM - 4:00 p.m. to review draft U.S. positions on agenda items that will be considered at the next CCFH session, scheduled for November 11-15, 2013, in Ha Noi, Viet Nam. The public meeting will take place in Room 107-A of the U.S. Department of Agriculture Whitten Building, 1400 Independence Ave, SW, Washington, DC 20520. Individuals may also participate via teleconference by calling 1-888-858-2144; Participant Code: 6208658.
Agenda items include:
- Proposed Draft Guidelines for Control of Specific Zoonotic Parasites in Meat: Trichinella spp. and Cysticercus bovis at Step 4;
- Proposed Draft Code of Hygienic Practice for Spices and Dried Aromatic Herbs at Step 4; and
- the Proposed Code of Practice for Low-Moisture Foods at Step 4.
New Electronic Working Group (eWG)
Committee on Fats and Oils (CCFO) invites Codex members and observers to join an eWG, chaired by Iran and working in English only, to revise the discussion paper, including a project document, on cold pressed oils. The Committee agreed to change the scope of the discussion paper to cover walnut oil, almond oil, hazelnut oil, pistachio oil, flaxseed oil and avocado oil. A circular letter will be issued in the coming months to obtain the required data and information. Countries and organizations interested in participating in the eWG should provide the name, official title, and e-mail address of their representatives to Hamed Safafar(email@example.com) and to Zahra Piravi Vanak (firstname.lastname@example.org) before November 30, 2013. Parties in the United States interested in contributing to the U.S. participation should contact the U.S. Codex Office (USCodex@fsis.usda.gov) by November 18, 2013.