Public Health Information System (PHIS) - Import Component
On this page...
- Accessing PHIS
- Policy Documents; FSIS PHIS Directives
- Questions & Answers
- Additional PHIS Resources
FSIS is providing foreign governments, as well as importers and brokers of meat, poultry, and egg products, the following letters regarding the final rule, Electronic Import Inspection Application and Certification of Imported Products and Foreign Establishments; Amendments To Facilitate the Public Health Information System (PHIS) and Other Changes to Import Inspection Regulations.
- Letter to Foreign Governments (Jan 2015; PDF)
- Letter to Importers and Customs Brokers (Jan 2015; PDF)
- FSIS Partner Government Agency (PGA) Message Set Compliance Guide (Feb 2015; PDF)
- Revised FSIS Form 9540-1 (Import Inspection Application; PDF)
- Fact Sheet: FSIS Import Inspection and Failure to Present (FTP)
FSIS also provided the following information prior to implementation of the import component of PHIS.
- Initial Implementation Letter to Foreign Countries | PDF (Mar 20, 2012)
Provided initial information related to changes to certification requirements, product categorization, and presentation for import reinspection and sampling at official import inspection establishments.
- Initial Implementation Letter to Importers | PDF (Apr 18, 2012)
Provided information to importers and brokers related to how imported meat, poultry or egg products will be categorized when submitting the application for FSIS import inspection through the Automated Commercial Environment (ACE).
- Initial Implementation Letter to Official Import Inspection Establishments | PDF (Apr 30, 2012)
Official import inspection establishments are required to have an e-Authentication account to be able to access the PHIS. Interested parties are required to obtain an eAuthentication level 2 account from USDA as the first step in the access process. FSIS encourages interested parties to complete this step as soon as possible.
- Letter to Establishments | PDF (Dec 3, 2010)
How to obtain a Level 2 USDA eAuthentication account.
- USDA eAuthentication System
"eAuth" is the secure system that allows web-based access to USDA applications and services.
- Prior Notification and Failure to Present: Compliance Guidance for Importing Meat, Poultry and Egg Products to the United States (Feb 2015; PDF Only)
This guidance is designed to help importers of record (IOR), U.S. Customs brokers, and Official Import Inspection Establishment management understand and comply with the Food Safety and Inspection Service’s (FSIS) import inspection regulations for meat, poultry, and egg products on prior notification and explains regulatory actions taken when products fail to present for FSIS reinspection, known as “Failure to Present” (FTP).
- Import Related PHIS Directives (9000 Series)
- All PHIS Directives
Questions and Answers related to PHIS Import Implementation (May 2-3, 2012)
For more information about PHIS, visit the FSIS Web site at http://www.fsis.usda.gov/PHIS.