The implementation of HACCP and pathogen reduction programs represents one of the most significant changes in the regulation of the meat and poultry industry since the inspection program began in the early 1900's. These regulatory changes are so substantial that they also require retraining a large number of FSIS employees in the new policies and procedures. Much of the material used for training of Agency personnel also has applicability to state and local regulators in training their employees. Further, it is of interest to members of the meat and poultry industry in developing comprehensive training for their own personnel.
FSIS is providing training to reinforce the understanding of how to perform food safety duties. The training - Food Safety Regulatory Essentials Training (FSRE) - is based on FSIS Directive 5000.1, Verifying an Establishment's Food Safety System. The directive outlines the full range of inspection responsibilities in relation to the HACCP/Pathogen Reduction regulation. In addition, it incorporates all recent Agency issuances (Directives, notices) related to these topics. This course has been integrated with the Inspection Methods course.
Unlike the initial HACCP training, the FSRE training is tailored to an inspector's assignment. All persons receiving the training get the foundation training and customized training. The foundation training covers the Rules of Practice; Sanitation Performance Standards; and Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures. The customized training covers HACCP verification; Pathogen Reduction; and food safety sampling.
Inspectors assigned to establishments producing products in the 03B, C and J HACCP processing categories receive HACCP training focused on raw products. Inspectors in establishments producing products in the 03G, H and I HACCP processing categories receive HACCP training focused on not shelf stable, ready-to-eat and not ready-to-eat products. Inspectors at establishments producing products in the 03D, E and F HACCP processing categories receive HACCP training focused on shelf stable products.
Frequently Asked Questions at the Food Safety Regulatory Essentials Training (PDF Only; 114Kb, 2pp)
HACCP for Raw Products
HACCP for Not Shelf Stable Ready-To-Eat (RTE) / Not-Ready-To-Eat (NRTE) Products
HACCP for Shelf Stable Products
- Week One:
- About this Course (PDF Only; 30Kb, 4pp)
- Introduction (PDF Only; 122 Kb, 4pp)
- Microbiology of Thermally Processed Commercially Sterile and Shelf-Stable Meat and Poultry Products (PDF Only; 225 Kb, 37pp)
- Principles of Thermal Processing (PDF Only; 128 Kb, 16pp)
- Thermal Processing Systems (PDF Only; 568 Kb, 52pp)
- Microbiology-Dried Meats (PDF Only; 160 Kb, 18pp)
- Processing Procedures (PDF Only; 221 Kb, 29pp)
- Principles of Preservation (PDF Only; 213 Kb, 15pp)
- ABC Meat Co. HACCP Plan (PDF Only; 108 Kb, 4pp)
- Barney Beef Stew HACCP Plan (PDF Only; 104 Kb, 4pp)
- Hazard Controls (PDF Only; 294 Kb, 28pp)
- Pepperoni Hazard Analysis (PDF Only; 106 Kb, 4pp)
- Appendix and Glossary (PDF Only; 122 Kb, 27pp)
- References (PDF Only; 8 Kb, 1pp)
- Week 2: