Cook it Safe
Archive Page. Some of these resources may have moved or may no longer be available.
What does it mean to "Cook It Safe?"
The "Cook It Safe" campaign encourages cooks of all ages to read and follow all cooking instructions printed on food packages before preparation. To prevent foodborne illness in your home or dorm room, follow the Cook It Safe Taskforce's four basic messages:
- Read and Follow Package Cooking Instructions.
- Know When to Use a Microwave or Conventional Oven.
- Know Your Microwave Wattage before Microwaving Food.
- Always Use a Food Thermometer to Ensure a Safe Internal Temperature.
- Cook it Safe Challenge — Read and Follow Package Instructions (Apr 2, 2013; 1:03)
- Food Safety in the College Dorm (YouTube, Nov 9, 2012)
- Cook it Safe - Know your Wattage (Sep 1, 2011; 1:00; MP4)
Make the right decisions about safe food preparation. Read and follow package cooking instructions, and know your microwave wattage.
- Cook it Safe - Microwave or Conventional Oven? (Sep 1, 2011; 1:03; MP4)
Use the proper steps for safe meal preparation. Read and follow package cooking instructions, and know when to use a conventional oven or the microwave.
- YouTube Playlist
- Food Insight (International Food Information Council)
- Cook It Safe in a Crunch (Oct 25, 2012)
- "Cook It Safe" Always Use a Food Thermometer to Ensure a Safe Internal Temperature (Sep 30, 2011)
- Cook it Safe: Know Your Microwave Wattage and Know Your Food is Cooked (Sep 19, 2011)
- Cook it Safe: Read and Follow Cooking Directions Every Time! (Sep 6, 2011)
- Cook it Safe this National Food Safety Education Month (Sep 2, 2011)
- When Preparing Convenience Foods, Cook It Safe! (Sep 7, 2011)
Taskforce members hosted a Twitter chat on September 16, 2011 to allow consumers and interested professionals to ask subject matter experts questions about the campaign and microwave cooking. Follow @USDAFoodSafety, @FoodInsight, and @Fight_Bac for more "Cook It Safe" information.
Additional Resources on Safe Cooking
- Food Thermometer Placement and Temperatures | En Español
- Microwave Ovens and Food Safety | PDF
- Cooking Safely in the Microwave Oven | PDF | En Español | En Español PDF
- Lots More
- Microwaving Convenience Foods Safely | Script | En Español | Transcripción
- Wattage Important to Safe Cooking | Script | En Español | Transcripción
- Microwave Cooking | Script
American Sign Language Video
More Food Safety Information