Humane Handling Ombudsman
Also see: Humane Handling Ombudsman - Q & A's
It is the mission of the Humane Handling Ombudsman to:
- Act as an independent, confidential and neutral resource for FSIS employees and stakeholders to bring forward complaints and concerns related to federal humane handling laws and regulations.
- Collaborate with all concerned parties by facilitating and effectuating resolutions which are fair and equitable.
- Identify individual and systemic improvements to address humane handling problems that may threaten the effectiveness of the Agency's food safety mission and to assist in the implementation of those improvements along with ways to minimize recurrence.
The creation of the Humane Handling Ombudsman position was one of several measures taken by USDA to improve FSIS verification and enforcement of federal humane handling laws and regulations. FSIS employees, agency stakeholders, and the general public can report humane handling concerns or complaints when the standard reporting mechanisms do not adequately address or resolve outstanding issues.
The Humane Handling Ombudsman activities and responsibilities are carried out within the context of three guiding principles: Independence, Confidentiality, and Neutrality.
- Independence - The Humane Handling Ombudsman position was established at the Department level, reporting to the Office of Food Safety.
- Confidentiality - Complainant's identities are kept confidential except in instances where consent is given to disclose the identity or in situations of imminent threat to public or personal safety.
- Neutrality - The Humane Handling Ombudsman serves not as an advocate for employees or stakeholders, or for the agency, but rather as an advocate for fairness and equitable resolution.
Mr. Mark Crowe is the Humane Handling Ombudsman. If you have a humane handling related comment or concern or wish to file a complaint, Mr. Crowe may be contacted by telephone, e-mail or regular mail.
Telephone: (510) 769-5729 (direct)
United States Department of Agriculture, Office of Food Safety
Attn: Mark W. Crowe
620 Central Avenue, Bldg. 2B, Rm. 106
Alameda, California 94501
|Additional Humane Handling Resources|