How to Apply: FSIS Public Health Veterinarian (PHV)
FSIS is the nation's largest employer of veterinarians with more than 1,100 professionals employed. The Public Health Veterinarian (Veterinary Medical Officer, or VMO) is a key member of the Agency's regulatory team with primary responsibility for making the critical examinations and dispositions of food animals that are presented for further processing before the meat and poultry products are made available to the public.
Recruitment, Relocation and Retention Incentives for Veterinary Positions
Online Application Procedure
The online job announcement contains occupational information, eligibility requirements, and detailed application instructions. Our online application process involves four steps. We recommend printing these four steps before proceeding.
STEP 1: Carefully review the job announcement.
During the online application process, you will be asked to select specific geographic locations where you are interested in working. Please only select the geographic locations where you are willing to live and work. The geographic locations in the job announcement are a listing of where our Agency has VMO positions located. It does not mean that all these locations are vacant. It is difficult to predict if or when a specific geographic location will have a vacant position. We suggest that you carefully review the Geographic Locations.
STEP 2: Click on the "Apply" tab within the job announcement.
STEP 3: Upload your resume and DVM transcript.
Submit a resume.
Your resume should:
- Include relevant work experience
- Provide specific and detailed information about your work experience duties and responsibilities
- For each job, include starting and ending dates and hours worked (full time or part time/hours worked per average month)
Submit your DVM transcript.
Your DVM transcript must include your name, the school name and the date your degree was received. If you have not graduated yet, you must submit a copy of your official transcript to date.
Additional information and documentation, if applicable:
- See Required Documents: Qualification Information for Foreign Educated Veterinarians
- Submit the following supporting documents if applicable:
- Active Veterinary license;
- Veteran's Information, including a copy of your DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or other proof. Veterans with service connected disability and others claiming 10 point preference will need to submit an SF-15 Form (Fillable PDF).
STEP 4: Complete the online questionnaire found in the job announcement.
Click on the "Apply" tab to complete the Questionnaire that includes the Core Eligibility Questions, the Minimum Qualification Questions and the Assessment Questions. Carefully read the Minimum Qualifications Questions to ensure you are considered for the applicable grade level of GS-12 and/or GS-11.
To submit your application online, you must click on Begin Application Submission.
- “Complete” status certifies that a response has been provided for all mandatory questions (annotated with an *). This status does not indicate that other information/documentation as required in the announcement has been provided. You must ensure that all information/documentation as stated in the announcement is provided.
- Click on Submit Now to submit your application or on Submit Later to save your application and finish at a later time. Once you have submitted your application, you should see the following:
Application Form Status: Complete and Submitted
Your application has now been submitted
To complete the application process, click on Return to USA Jobs.
- You will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your online application.