How to Apply: FSIS Public Health Veterinarian (PHV)
|FSIS is the nation's largest employer of veterinarians with more than 1,100 professionals employed. The Public Health Veterinarian (Veterinary Medical Officer) is a key member of the Agency's regulatory team with primary responsibility for making the critical examinations and dispositions of food animals that are presented for further processing before the meat and poultry products are made available to the public.
Recruitment incentives are being offered based on hiring needs and budgetary availability. FSIS considers directly-related previous work experience and credentials when setting pay and preparing a holistic compensation package. Please review this information before completing your application.
|Automated Application Procedure
The online job announcement (link below) contains occupational information, eligibility requirements, and detailed application instructions. Our online application process involves four steps. We recommend printing these four steps before proceeding.
STEP 1: Carefully review the job announcement. During the online application process, you will be asked to list up to ten geographic locations where you wish to be considered for available positions. We suggest that you review the Geographic Codes.
STEP 2: Complete the online questionnaire found in the job announcement. We highly encourage you to complete the Occupational Questionnaire online . To take the questionnaire and read detailed directions on the application process, click on the"How to Apply" tab in the upper right-hand corner of the job announcement. You will find the link for the Online Questionnaire under "Option 1." If you are successful in completing the questionnaire you will receive an acknowledgment that your answers were submitted successfully.
STEP 3: Submit an application or resume. Tell us more about yourself and your work experience. To complete the application process, you must submit your resume either by uploading it electronically or printing out the cover sheet and faxing it in following the instructions found in the job announcement under "How to Apply." But before you begin preparing an application or resume, please consider the following tips:
- List information on all jobs that are relevant.
- Provide specific and detailed information about your duties.
- Include all starting and ending dates for each job you have held.
The job announcement describes a number of options. Choose one of these options.
- After the Online Questionnaire is submitted, at the Document Upload screen, select the type of document you are attaching for upload from the drop-down menu on the left side of the screen. Select the "Browse" button and attach the file you want to submit. Press the "Upload" button to submit the document file. You will receive an "Upload Successful" acknowledgement when the file has been received. OR:
- Applications/resumes may be faxed directly to (478) 757-3144. If you choose to fax your documentation you MUST use a cover page. The information contained on the cover page should match the information you provided to the occupational questionnaire. The job ID number, your name, and Social Security number should be written accurately and neatly. This cover page is used to match your documents with the record you established when you submitted the occupational questionnaire. To print a copy of the Cover Page, go to http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf (PDF Only). OR:
- Resumes in Microsoft Word document format may be e-mailed to email@example.com. OR:
- Submit your occupational questionnaire, resume and supporting documents in hard copy by mail. To complete the occupational questionnaire in hard copy form, click this link to print a copy of the OPM Form 1203-FX or type this URL into your browser: http://www.opm.gov/Forms/pdf_fill/OPM1203fx.pdf (PDF Only). You can also obtain a copy of the OPM Form 1203-FX by calling USAJOBS by phone at (703) 724-1850. After the introduction, Press 1 and follow the instructions. You can also mail your documents to the address listed in the job announcement. OR:
- You may wish to use the USAJOBS "Create a Resume" feature to create and send a resume online to job ID#264332 (Job Announcement #VMO-264332-09). The completed resume can be attached to this job announcement and submitted electronically. To do so, scroll down to the end of the job announcement. Click on the "Apply Online" icon. Then follow the USAJOBS Web site instructions. After you complete and submit the online resume, you will receive a "Confirmation of Submission" message stating that your online resume has been successfully submitted. If you do not receive this message, please submit again as this indicates that your resume has not been received. NOTE: Submission of a resume alone MAY NOT be a complete application. Additional forms and/or supplemental materials as described in Step 4 may need to be provided.
STEP 4: Review this additional information and submit supplemental documents, if required.
Last Modified Nov 06, 2013