In a continuing effort to enhance and improve the knowledge and understanding of humane handling and slaughter laws, regulations, directives, notices, etc., the Food Safety and Inspection Service is implementing a new service to facilitate greater sharing of knowledge and information with, and among, FSIS field personnel. This service is identified as the "Humane Interactive Knowledge Exchange (HIKE)" and is described below.
The Humane Interactive Knowledge Exchange (HIKE) is a tool available to all Field Operations employees. It is provided to help employees keep current, and correlated, on regulatory requirements, directives, notices, etc. HIKE allows, through the use of fictional scenarios, an employee to review FSIS requirements, and hopefully, to correlate with his or her work-group and supervisor regarding the application of those requirements.
The HIKE system works in the following manner:
- A scenario pertaining to a humane handling and slaughter situation will be sent monthly to all Field Operations employees, utilizing the "FAIM" and "Outlook" e-mail systems.
- Any employee may ask questions regarding these scenarios. It is believed, however, that the greatest benefit may be gained from discussions of the scenarios and questions within individual work groups and with supervisors. If questions pertaining to any of the scenarios or answers given on HIKE are not resolved through discussions within the work-group or with the supervisor, they should be submitted to the following address: Hike@fsis.usda.gov
- Information generated through the Humane Interactive Knowledge Exchange (HIKE) process may be used at work unit meetings, District Meetings, or meetings with plant management. The scenarios, and any subsequent questions and answers are intended to aid Field Operations&146; employees through increased understanding and correlation of regulations, policies, and standards concerning humane handling and slaughter of livestock.
- Questions received concerning the specific scenarios will be evaluated, researched and answered by Policy Development Staff specialists.
- Other questions related to humane handling and slaughter issues should be addressed to the DVMS in your respective district offices.
For HIKE related questions, send mail to Hike@fsis.usda.gov . Send all other general questions, to askFSIS.