Subchapter I - Inspection
Requirements; Adulteration & Misbranding
§602. Congressional statement of findings.
§603. Inspection of meat and meat food products.
- (a) Examination of animals before slaughtering; diseased animals slaughtered separately and carcasses examined.
- (b) Humane methods of slaughter.
§604. Post mortem examination
of carcasses and marking or labeling; destruction of carcasses condemned;
§605. Examination of carcasses
brought into slaughtering or packing establishments, and of meat food
products issued from and returned thereto; conditions for entry.
§606. Inspectors of meat food
products; marks of inspection; destruction of condemned products; products
§607. Labeling, marking, and
- (a) Labeling receptacles or coverings of meat or meat food products
inspected and passed; supervision by inspectors.
- (b) Information on articles or containers; legible form.
- (c) Labeling: type styles and sizes; definitions and standards of
identity or composition; standards of fill of container; consistency of
Federal and Federal-State standards.
- (d) Sales under false or misleading name, other marking or labeling or in
containers of misleading form or size; trade names, and other marking,
labeling, and containers approved by Secretary.
- (e) Use withholding directive respecting false or misleading marking,
labeling, or container; modification of false or misleading matter;
hearing; withholding use pending proceedings; finality of Secretary's
action; judicial review; application of section 194 of title 7.
- (f) Lamb and mutton
§608. Sanitary inspection and
regulation of slaughtering and packing establishments; rejection of
adulterated meat or meat food products.
§609. Examination of animals
and food products thereof, slaughtered and prepared during nighttime.
§610. Prohibited acts.
- (a) Slaughtering animals or preparation of articles capable of use as
- (b) Humane methods of slaughter.
- (c) Sales, transportation, and other transactions.
- (d) Adulteration or misbranding.
§611. Devices, marks, labels,
and certificates; simulations.
- (a) Devices to be made under authorization of Secretary.
- (b) Other misconduct.
§615. Inspection of carcasses,
meat of which is intended for export.
Plans and reassessments.
§616. Inspectors of carcasses,
etc., meat of which is intended for export; certificates of condition.
§617. Clearance prohibited to
vessel carrying meat for export without inspector's certificate.
§618. Delivery of inspectors'
certificates, and of copies.
§619. Marking, labeling, or
other identification of kinds of animals of articles' derivation; separate
establishments for preparation and slaughtering activities.
- (a) Adulteration or misbranding prohibition; compliance with inspection,
building construction standards, and other provisions; humane methods of
slaughter; treatment as domestic articles subject to this chapter and
food, drug, and cosmetic provisions; marking and labeling; personal
- (b) Terms and conditions for destruction.
- (c) Payment of storage, cartage, and labor charges by owner or consignee;
- (d) Prohibition.
- (e) Reports to Congressional committees.
- (f) Inspection and other standards; applicability, enforcement, etc.;
- (g) Administration of animal drugs or antibiotics; terms and conditions;
entry order violations.
- (h) Reciprocal meat inspection requirement.
§621. Inspectors to make
examinations provided for; appointment; duties; regulations.
§622. Bribery of or gifts to
inspectors or other officers and acceptance of gifts.
§623. Exemptions from
- (a) Personal slaughtering and custom slaughtering for personal,
household, guest, and employee uses.
- (b) Territorial exemption; refusal, withdrawal, or modification.
- (c) Pizzas containing meat food products.
- (d) Adulteration and misbranding provisions applicable to inspection-free
§624. Storage and handling
regulations; violations; exemption of establishments subject to non-Federal
§625. Inapplicability of certain requirements to catfish.
Subchapter II - Meat Processors &
§641. Prohibition of
subchapter I inspection of articles not intended for use as human food;
denaturation or other identification prior to distribution in commerce;
- (a) Classes of persons bound; scope of disclosure; access to places of
business; examination of records, facilities, and inventories; copies;
- (b) Period of maintenance.
§643. Registration of
business, name of person, and trade names.
§644. Regulation of
transactions, transportation, or importation of 4-D animals to prevent use
as human food.
§645. Federal provisions
applicable to State or Territorial business transactions of a local nature
and not subject to local authority.
Subchapter III - Federal & State
§661. Federal and State
- (a) Congressional statement of policy.
- (b) Single State agency; subordinate governmental unit as part of State
- (c) State meat inspection requirements.
- (d) ''State'' defined.
Subchapter IV - Auxiliary Provisions
§671. Inspection services;
refusal or withdrawal; hearing; business unfitness based upon certain
convictions; other provisions for withdrawal of services unaffected;
responsible connection with business; finality of Secretary's actions;
judicial review; record.
detention; duration; pending judicial proceedings; notification of
governmental authorities; release.
§673. Seizure and
- (a) Proceedings in rem; libel of information; jurisdiction; disposal by
destruction or sale; proceeds into the Treasury; sales restrictions;
bond; court costs and fees, storage, and other expenses against
claimants; proceedings in admiralty; jury trial; United States as
- (b) Condemnation or seizure under other provisions unaffected.
§674. Federal court
jurisdiction of enforcement and injunction proceedings and other kinds of
cases; limitations of section 607(e) of this title.
§675. Assaulting, resisting,
or impeding certain persons; murder; protection of such persons.
- (a) Misdemeanors; felonies: intent to defraud and distribution of
adulterated articles; good faith.
- (b) Minor violations; written notice of warning of criminal and civil
§677. Other Federal laws
applicable for administration and enforcement of chapter; location of
inquiries; jurisdiction of Federal courts.
§678. Non-Federal jurisdiction
of federally regulated matters; prohibition of additional or different
requirements for establishments with inspection services and as to marking,
labeling, packaging, and ingredients; recordkeeping and related
requirements; concurrent jurisdiction over distribution for human food
purposes of adulterated or misbranded and imported articles; other matters.
§679. Application of Federal
Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.
- (a) Authorities under food, drug, and cosmetic provisions unaffected.
- (b) Enforcement proceedings; detainer authority of representatives of
Secretary of Health and Human Services.
§679a. Safe Meat and Poultry Inspection Panel
- (a) Establishment
- (b) Duties
- (c) Secretarial response
- (d) Composition of panel
- (e) Nominations
- (f) Travel expenses
- (g) Conflicts of interest
- (h) Exemption
- (i) Funding
§679b. Pasteurization of meat and poultry
- (1) In general
- (2) Authorization of appropriations
§679c. Expansion of Food Safety Inspection Service
- (a) In general
- (b) Authorization of appropriations
§680. Authorization of appropriations.
Subchapter IV-A - Miscellaneous Provisions
§683. Interstate shipment of meat inspected by Federal
and State agencies for certain small establishments
- (a) Definitions
- (b) Authority of Secretary to allow shipments
- (c) Reimbursement of State costs
- (d) Coordination between Federal and State agencies
- (e) Audits
- (f) Technical assistance division
- (g) Transition grants
- (h) Violations
- (i) Effect
- (j) Effective date
- Inspections by Federal and State Agencies
§692. Inspection extended to
§693. Inspection of dairy
products for export.
§694. Authorization of
§695. Payment of cost of meat-inspection service; exception