For consumer guidelines, see Thermometer Placement and Temperatures.
Alternate Text for Foodservice Poster & Magnet
Temperature Rules! Cooking for Foodservice
Hold at specified temperature or above for 15 seconds unless otherwise stated.
Hold all hot food at 135 °F or above after cooking.
Minimum Temperatures and Holding Times
*For alternative times and temperatures, see the FDA Food Code 2005
- 165 °F (74 °C) 15 seconds
- Poultry-chicken, turkey, duck, goose-whole, parts or ground
- Soups, stews, stuffing, casseroles, mixed dishes
- Stuffed meat, poultry, fish and pasta
- Food, covered, cooked in microwave oven (hold covered 2 minutes after removal)
- Leftovers (to reheat)
- 155 °F (68 °C) 15 seconds
- Hamburger, meatloaf and other ground meats, injected meats, ground fish*
- Fresh shell eggs-cooked and held for service (such as, scrambled)*
- 145 °F (63 °C) 15 seconds
- Beef, corned beef, pork, ham-roasts (hold 4 minutes)*
- Beef-intact steaks (surfaces)
- Lamb, veal, pork-steaks or chops
- Fish, shellfish
- Fresh shell eggs-broken, cooked and served immediately
- 135 °F (57 °C) Reheat for hot holding
- Ready-to-eat, commercially processed-ham, other roasts
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Food Safety and Inspection Service
USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854)
FDA Food Information Line
1-888-SAFE FOOD (1-888-723-3366)
USDA is an equal opportunity employer and provider.
Revised September 2008