This is an archive of older presentations, arranged by subject or event.
Find the most current ones on the main Presentations page.
Animal & Egg Production
- Food Safety and Antimicrobial Residues in Food Animals (Jul 9-11, 2002)
B. P. Dey, DVM, Ph.D., USDA, FSIS, AEPFSS, and Edna Negron, Ph.D., Ph.D., University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez, Conference on Animal and Egg Production Food Safety, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Food Safety and Inspection Service - Past, Present and Future (Jul 23, 2002)
Sibyl Wright, Academic Outreach Coordinator, to the Washington Internships for Native Students (WINS) program, sponsored by the American University and USDA, Washington, DC.
- Impact of Pathogen Reduction/HACCP on Food Animal Production Systems | Slides Informational material distributed to FSIS District Offices on animal production food safety issues.
- Keeping Foodborne Pathogens Down on the Farm (Aug 2001)
Dr. Michael P. Doyle, University of Georgia
- Role of the Animal & Egg Production Food Safety Program in the Control of Residues in Meat and Poultry (Jun 5-7, 2001)
Bhabani P. Dey, DVM, MS, Ph.D., Veterinary Medical Officer, Animal and Egg Production Food Safety Staff, at the National Food Safety Meeting in Orlando, Florida, organized by the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine.
Food Safety Education Conference, Thinking Globally, Working Locally (Sep 18-20, 2002)
View streaming video from selected sessions or access slide presentations by speakers listed below. The conference site is also still available.
- Abuela Project; A Community-Based Food Safety Intervention in the Hispanic Community PPT | PDF
- Assessing a Food Safety Behavior Questionnaire for Criterion Validity PPT | PDF (2mb) | Text
- Assessing the Reliability and Validity of Food Safety Knowledge and Attitude Questionnaires PPT | PDF | Text
- CDC and Bioterrorism: Anthrax Response, A Communications Perspective PPT | PDF | Text
- Kay Golan, Director of Media Relations, CDC
- Changes in Consumer Knowledge, Behavior, and Confidence Since the 1996 PR/HACCP Final Rule PPT (1.2mb) | PDF (1.2mb) | Text
- Cognitive Antecedents of "Good" Food Safety Practices PPT | PDF | Text
- Communicating on Food Terrorism PPT | PDF | Text
- Current State of Foodborne Illness in the U.S. PPT | PDF | Text Only
- Diagnosis and Management of Foodborne Illnesses: A Primer for Physicians PDF | Text Only
- Evaluation Matrix: When & Where & Who & How? PPT | PDF | Text
- FDA/FSIS Food Safety Survey Methods PPT | PDF | Text
- Focus on Research Methods: Direct Observation Research PPT | PDF | Text
- Food Safety Behavior of Nutrition Program Graduates: Do They Do... What They Say They Do? PPT | PDF | Text
- Patricia Kendall, PhD, RD , Colorado State University, Lydia C. Medeiros, PhD, RD , The Ohio State University, and Virginia N. Hillers, PhD, RD, Washington State University
- Food Safety Education Campaign in New Zealand PPT | PDF | Text
- Overview of Food Safety Education in the Child Nutrition Programs PPT | PDF | Text
- Pan American Health Organization Food Safety Education Project PPT | PDF (2mb) | Text
- Partnering for Food Safe Schools -- An Action Guide PPT (5mb) | PDF (3mb) | Text
- Rhode Island School Food Safety Project PPT | PDF | Text
- Smart Kids Fight BAC!® A Program for Grades K-3 - PPT (28mb) | PDF (1.79mb) | Text
- Social Marketing and Food Safety in the United Kingdom PPT | PDF | Text
- Social Marketing for Food Safety, FSIS's Thermy™ Project PPT (10mb) | PDF | Text
- Social Marketing Overview PPT | PDF | Text
- Teaching Arab Homemakers to Keep Food Safe PPT (6mb) | PDF | Text
- Thermy™ Campaign Success Stories PPT (22mb) | PDF | Text Only
- Training at Jack in the Box: Food Safety Messages for a Multi-Linguistic Workforce PPT | PDF | Text
- What consumers say they do...What they actually do: A comparison PPT | PDF | Text
- When Food's Not Safe to Eat: Public Health Communications Challenges in the Age of Bioterrorism PPT (6mb) | PDF | Text Only
- Sandra Mullin, Associate Commissioner, New York City Department of Health
- Labeling 101 Presentation
A PowerPoint Presentation used as a learning tool, by the Labeling and Consumer Protection Staff, at food labeling workshops in various locations throughout the U.S. (Oct 15, 2003)
Docket No. 03-005N, Listeria Risk Assessment Technical Meeting (Feb 25, 2003)
- Update: Assessment of the Relative Risk to Public Health from Foodborne Listeria monocytogenes Among Selected Categories of Ready-to-Eat Foods (PPT) | PDF, Robert L. Buchanan, Sherri Denise & Richard C. Whiting, FDA, CFSAN
- Current Listeria Policy and Risk Management Questions (PPT) | PDF, Daniel Engeljohn, Ph.D., FSIS
- What is Risk Assessment? (PPT) | PDF, Janell Kause, FSIS
- FSIS Listeria Risk Assessment (PPT) | PDF, Carol Maczka, Ph.D., FSIS
- FSIS Listeria Risk Assessment (PPT) | PDF, Daniel Gallagher, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University/Eric Ebel & Janell Kause, FSIS Docket No. 02-041N, Summit on Listeria monocytogenes (Nov 14, 2002)
- Consumer Attitudes and Behaviors Regarding Ready-to-Eat Foods | PDF , Susan Conley, FSIS
- Listeria Summit: Risk Communication (PPT) | PDF, Danielle Schor, R.D., FSIS
- Risk Management - Current FSIS Activities (PPT) | PDF , Daniel Engeljohn, Ph.D., FSIS
- Post Processing Interventions to Control Listeriosis (PPT) | PDF , Don L. Zink, Ph.D., Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, FDA
- Experiences With Controlling Listeria monocytogenes in Ready-to-Eat Food Processes (PPT) | PDF, W. Payton Pruett, Jr. Ph.D., ConAgra Refrigerated Foods Docket No. 02-033N, Technical Conference on Foreign Material Contaminants, Prerequisite Programs, and Validation (Aug 30, 2002)
- Consumer Complaint Monitoring System (PPT), Kimberly J. Elenberg, RN, BSN, FSIS
- Current Thinking and Draft Directive on Foreign Material Contamination in HACCP, SSOP, and Prerequisite Programs (PPT), Lee Puricelli, FSIS
- Changes in Identification and Control of Physical Hazards Since PR/HACCP (PPT), Roberta A. Morales, DVM, Ph.D., RTI International
- HACCP Validation - The FSIS Perspective (PPT), Charles Gioglio, FSIS
- Perspectives on Controlling FMC Through HACCP (PPT), Kerri B. Harris, Ph.D., International HACCP Alliance, Texas A&M University
- Foreign Material Contamination in a HACCP Environment - Impact of Multi-Component Products (PPT), Jeanne Raede, Food Safety and Quality Chef America, Inc., Nestle USA
- The Physical Hazards of Foreign Materials (PPT), David P. Goldman, M.D., M.P.H., FSIS
- Role of Prerequisite Programs in Extraneous Material Management (PPT), William H. Sveum, Ph.D., Kraft Foods North America
- Physical Material Prerequisite Programs in Small and Very Small Plants (PPT), Dennis Burson, University of Nebraska
- Foreign Material Contamination - HACCP and Prerequisite Programs (PPT), Troie Burch, Quik-to-Fix Foods, Southwest Meat Association
Docket No. 02-006N, Pathogen Reduction: A Scientific Dialogue (May 6, 2002)
- Introduction of Hazards - Slaughter, Gary R. Acuff, PhD, Texas A & M University
- Food Safety Pathogens on the Farm, David A. Dargatz, DVM, PhD, USDA, APHIS, Centers for Epidemiology and Animal Health
- Introduction of Hazards, Farm to Table, Michael Doyle, PhD, Center for Food Safety, University of Georgia
- Introduction of Hazards: Preparation, Consumption, and the Chain of Transmission, Robert V. Tauxe, M.D., M.P.H, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- HACCP Experiences Worldwide, Alejandro Castillo, University of Guadalajara/Texas A&M University
- Data Needed to Measure HACCP Impacts on Public Health, Jack Guzewich, R.S., M.P.H., FDA Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
- HACCP Impacts on Contamination Levels in Meat and Poultry Products: FSIS Perspective, Delila R. Parham, DVM, FSIS
- Impacts of HACCP Systems and Approaches, Susan Sumner, PhD, Virginia Polytechnic Institute
- Microbial Testing for Control Verification, Robert L. Buchanan, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
- Indicators/Surrogates vs. Pathogens, Frank F. Busta, Professor Emeritus, University of Minnesota
- Performance Standards and the Economics of Compliance and Innovation, Elise Golan Economic Research Service, USDA
- Performance Standards and Statistical Sampling, Loren Lange, FSIS
Science Based Reinspection of Imported Meat and Poultry Products (Jun 8, 2001)
- Strategy for Selecting Imports Shipments for Re-inspection, Loren Lange, FSIS Docket No. 97-013N, Performance Standards for the Production of Processed Meat and Poultry Products (Apr 13, 2001)
- CSREES Opportunities and Recently Funded Projects, Dr. Mary Torrence, Cooperative State Research, Education and Extension Service (CSREES)
- Interventions for Controlling Listeria monocytogenes in Ready-to-Eat (RTE) Products, Dr. John Sofos, Colorado State University Cooperative State Research, Education and Extension Service
- Environmental Listeria Testing and Molecular Subtyping to Control Listeria monocytogenes in RTE Food Processing Environments, Dr. Martin Wiedmann, Cornell University Cooperative State Research, Education and Extension Service
- Introduction to Food Safety Research at ARS, Dr. James Lindsay, USDA Agricultural Research Service
- Enhancing the Function of the Pathogen Modeling Program, Dr. Marc Tamplin, USDA Agricultural Research Service
- Listeria Risks in Ready-to-Eat Meats Can Be Controlled Using a True HACCP Approach (PDF Only), Dr. James Marsden, Kansas State University
- Kansas State University Research to Validate L. monocytogenes Control Technologies for RTE Meat Products (PDF Only), Drs. Randall Phebus and H. Thippareddi, Kansas State University
- Lethality and Stabilization Performance Standards, Dr. Daniel Engeljohn, FSIS
- Requirements for the Control of L. monocytogenes, Dr. Daniel Engeljohn, FSIS
- Thermally Processed, Commercially Sterile Products | PDF, Paul Uhler, FSIS
- Elimination of Requirements for Treatment of Trichina (Trichinella spiralis), Dr. Amelia Sharar, FSIS
- Influences on the Prevalence of Trichinella in U.S. Pigs, Dr. Dave Pyburn, USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
- Economic Impact of the Proposed Regulations and Cost/Benefit Data Needs, Dr. Felix Spinelli, FSIS Docket No. 97-054F, Retained Water in Raw Meat and Poultry Products; Poultry Chilling Requirements (Jan 9, 2001)
- USDA/FSIS Perspective on Retained Water, Dr. Daniel Engeljohn, FSIS Docket No. 00-027N, Availability of Materials on In-Distribution Activities and Initiatives (Aug 14, 2000)
- Concepts of In-Distribution, Mary Cutshall, FSIS
- Basic Questions About In-Distribution, Philip S. Derfler, FSIS
- Initial In-Distribution Training and Evaluation Functions, Krista Marting, FSIS
- Traditional Roles in Distribution Channels, Carol Seymour, FSIS
- FSIS Risk Assessment of E. coli O157:H7 in Ground Beef, Mark Powell, PhD, FSIS (Mar 02, 2000)
- BSE - A Challenge That Brings All Partners in the Farm-to-Table Chain Closer Together | PDF (Jan 29, 2004)
Dr. Garry McKee, Administrator, FSIS, before the National Cattlemen's Beef Association's BSE Issues Forum, NCBA's Annual Convention, , Phoenix, AZ.
- Listeria Workshops for Small/Very Small Plants (Oct 2003), FSIS
- Farm to Fork - Looking Forward (Jul 18, 2003)
Deputy Under Secretary Merle Pierson at the American Association for Meat Processors (AAMP) annual meeting, Kansas City, MO
- Biosecurity and Public Health | PPT (Jun 19, 2003)
Dr. Merle Pierson, Deputy Under Secretary for Food Safety, U.S. Department of Agriculture, before the ADFO Post-conference Laboratory Workshop, Chicago, IL.
- Achieving the Public Health Vision: An Update on FSIS Activities | PPT (Jun 18, 2003)
Dr. Garry McKee, Administrator, FSIS, before the Association of Food and Drug Officials Annual Educational Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Farm to Fork - Looking Forward (May 22, 2003)
Dr. Merle Pierson, Deputy Under Secretary for Food Safety, before the International Center for Food Industry Excellence, Texas Tech University.
- FSIS' Top Priorities (Mar 21, 2003)
Dr. Garry McKee, Administrator, FSIS, at the North American Meat Processors Association's 46th Annual Management Conference, Chicago, I.L
- FSIS Initiatives In 2003 and Beyond (Feb 8, 2003)
Dr. Garry McKee, Administrator, FSIS, before the National Turkey Federation's Annual Convention, San Antonio, TX.
- Prevalence of Salmonella on young chicken carcasses in the U.S.: 1999-2000 | PDF (Jul 3, 2002)
Denise Eblen and Victor Cook, FSIS, before the Annual Meeting of the International Association for Food Protection, San Diego, CA.
- USDA's Food Safety Agenda (PPT, Apr 22, 2002)
Dr. Elsa Murano, Under Secretary for Food Safety, at the National Food Policy Conference, Washington, DC.
- A Perspective of Our Food Safety System (PPT, Apr 22, 2002)
Dr. Merle Pierson, Deputy Under Secretary for Food Safety, for a panel discussion at the National Food Policy Conference, Washington, DC.
- Implementing Pre-Harvest Food Safety--The U.S. Approach (Mar 27, 2001)
Thomas J. Billy, Administrator, FSIS, before the World Health Organization Consultation on Pre-Harvest Food Safety, Berlin, Germany.
- HACCP-Based Inspection Models Project: Baseline Results for Young Chickens (Apr 6, 2000)
RTI Project Team
- FSIS Next Steps: Risk Based Program Design (Dec 13, 2000)
Philip Derfler, FSIS
- FSIS Next Steps (Dec 13, 2000)
William C. Smith, FSIS
- New Developments in Food Safety (May 11, 1999)
Dr. Catherine E. Woteki , Office of the Under Secretary for Food Safety
May 2, 2006
To view PDF files you must have Adobe Reader installed on your computer.
If you do not have Microsoft PowerPoint and wish to open PPT files, you may download a viewer.