Recall Notification Report 032-2005
Bone-In Beef Products
Production Dates/Identifying Codes:
Produced August 4, 2005. Products subject to recall include:
- Five boxes of 243 lb. vacuum pouched packages of "American Foods Group, NECKBONE UNTRIM'D, USDA CHOICE OR HIGHER" with the case code of 77333;
- One box of 50 lb. vacuum pouched package of "American Foods Group, SHORTLOIN 2X2, USDA SELECT OR HIGHER" with the case code of 75231;
- One box of 60 lb. vacuum pouched package of "American Foods Group, SHORTLOIN 2X2, USDA CHOICE OR HIGHER" with the case code of 75060;
- Five boxes of 258 lb. vacuum pouched packages of "Dakota Supreme Beef, SHORTLOIN 0X11/4", USDA SELECT OR HIGHER" with the case code of 75442;
- Sixteen boxes of 811 lb. vacuum pouched packages of "American Foods Group, BLADE BI N/O CHUCK, USDA CHOICE OR HIGHER" with the case code of 75955;
- Nine boxes of 435 lb. vacuum pouched packages of "American Foods Group, BLADE BI N/O CHUCK, USDA SELECT OR HIGHER" with the case code of 75952.
Each box bears the establishment number "410" inside the USDA seal of inspection.
Problem/Reason for Recall:
The products may contain portions of the backbone from a cow just over the 30-month
age limit, imported for slaughter from Canada. Both ante-mortem and post-mortem
inspection were done on the cow in question. FSIS inspection program personnel
determined the cow to be healthy and fit for human food.
On this animal all specified risk materials (SRM) were removed, with the exception
of portions of the vertebral column. This is the reason for the recall of the
FSIS learned about this as a result of a Canadian audit of the health certificate of
the imported cow. Prior to slaughter, the health certificate accompanying the cow
was presented to the establishment, and it appeared complete and accurate. However,
a subsequent audit of information related to the health certificate by Canadian
officials found that it was not accurate. Action has been taken by Canadian Food
Inspection Agency officials in response to findings from the audit.
Green Bay Dressed Beef, Inc
544 Acme Street
Green Bay, WI 54302
Sally VandeHei, Executive Assistant, 877- 894-3927
Jim Mulhern, National Media Contact, 202-496-2468
Susan Finco, Local Media Contact, 920-965-7750 ext 158
Approximately 1,850 pounds
Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin
Recall Notification Level:
Wisconsin Firm Recalls Beef Products
Direct Notification Means:
The firm has notified its customers verbally and will follow-up in writing.
FSIS Follow-up Activities:
Effectiveness checks by the FSIS, Office of Field Operations (OFO).
Other Agencies Involved:
- FSIS Recall Coordinator: (608) 240-4080
- Recall Management Staff: (202) 690-6389
- Media Inquiries: (202) 720-9113
- Congressional Inquiries: (202) 720-3897
- Consumer Inquiries: 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854); TTY,
- Web Site: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/
(FSIS Main Page) or http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FSIS_Recalls/
Date of Recall Meeting:
August 19, 2005
Recall Case Number: