Poultry Products Inspection Act
§451. Congressional statement
declaration of policy.
§454. Federal and State
cooperation in development and administration of State poultry product
- (a) State laws; planning, technical and financial assistance; advisory
- (b) Appropriate State agency; performance of functions by subordinate
- (c) Intrastate activities; designation of State for regulation;
publication of designation; exempted operations; termination of
designation; review of operations in nondesignated States; annual report.
- (d) "State" defined.
§455. Inspection in official
- (a) Ante mortem inspection.
- (b) Post mortem inspection; quarantine, segregation, and reinspection.
- (c) Condemnation; appeal; reprocessing.
§456. Operation of premises, facilities and equipment.
- (a) Sanitary practices.
- (b) Refusal of inspection.
§457. Labeling and container standards.
- (a) Requirements for shipping containers and immediate containers;
nonconsumer packaged carcasses.
- (b) Labeling requirements; definitions and standards of identity or
composition or articles and standards of fill of container; standards
consistent with Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act; consistency between
Federal and State standards.
- (c) Use of trade names; false or misleading marking or labeling;
misleading form or size of container.
- (d) Withholding use of false or misleading mark, label, or container size
or form; modification; hearing; conclusiveness of determination; appeal.
§458. Prohibited acts.
§459. Compliance by all
§460. Miscellaneous activities
subject to regulation.
- (a) Prohibition of inspection of articles not intended for use as
human food; denaturation or other identification prior to distribution
in commerce; inedible articles.
- (b) Recordkeeping requirements; persons liable; scope of disclosure;
access to places of business; examination of records, facilities,
and inventories; copies; samples.
- (c) Registration of business, name of person, and trade names.
- (d) Regulation of transactions, transportation, or importation of
dead, dying, disabled or diseased poultry or carcasses to prevent
use as human food.
- (e) Federal provisions applicable to State or Territorial business
transactions of a local nature and not subject to local authority.
§461. Offenses and punishment.
- (a) Violations; liability of agents, employees, and employers.
- (b) Liability of carrier.
- (c) Assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain persons; murder;
Reporting of violations; notice; opportunity to present views.
Rules and regulations.
- (a) Storage and handling of poultry products; violation of regulations.
- (b) Other necessary rules and regulations.
- (c) Oral presentation of views.
- (a) Persons exempted.
- (b) Territorial exemption.
- (c) Personal slaughtering; custom slaughtering; name and address
of the poultry producer or processor in lieu of other labeling
requirements; small enterprises; slaughterers or processors of
specified number of turkeys; poultry producers raising poultry
on own farms.
- (d) Pizzas containing poultry products.
- (e) Applicability of adulteration and misbranding provisions to articles
exempted from inspection.
- (f) Suspension or termination of exemption.
§465. Limitations upon entry
of poultry products and other materials into official establishments.
- (a) Compliance with standards and regulations; status after importation.
- (b) Rules and regulations; destruction and exportation of refused
- (c) Storage, cartage and labor charges for imports refused admission.
- (d) Domestic standards and processing facilities applicable; enforcement.
§467. Inspection services.
- (a) Refusal or withdrawal; hearing; business unfitness based upon certain
convictions; persons responsibly connected with the business.
- (b) Hearing to determine validity of withdrawal or refusal of inspection
services; continuation of withdrawal or refusal.
- (c) Finality and conclusiveness of determination; judicial review;
Administrative detention; duration; pending judicial proceedings; notification of government authorities;
release; removal of official marks.
§467b. Seizure and
- (a) Proceedings in rem; libel of information; jurisdiction; disposal
by destruction or sale; proceeds into the Treasury; sales restrictions;
bonds; court costs and fees, storage, and other expenses against
claimants; jury trial; United States as plaintiff.
- (b) Condemnation or seizure under other provisions unaffected.
Federal court jurisdiction of enforcement and injunction proceedings
and other kinds of cases; limitations; United States as plaintiff;
§467d. Administration and
enforcement; applicability of penalty provisions; conduct of inquiries;
power and jurisdiction of courts.
jurisdiction of federally regulated matters; prohibition of additional or
different requirements for establishments with inspection services and as to
marking, labeling, packaging, and ingredients; recordkeeping and related
requirements; concurrent jurisdiction over distribution for human food
purposes of adulterated or misbranded and imported articles; other matters.
§467f. Federal Food, Drug,
and Cosmetic Act applications.
- (a) Exemptions; authorities under food, drug, and cosmetic provisions unaffected.
- (b) Enforcement proceedings; detainer authority of representatives of Secretary of Health and Human Services.
§468. Cost of inspection;
§469. Authorization of
§471. Safe Meat and Poultry
- (a) Review and evaluation.
- (b) Reports.
Interstate shipment of poultry inspected by Federal
and State agencies for certain small establishments.
- (a) Definitions
- (b) Authority of Secretary to allow
- (c) Reimbursement of State costs
- (d) Coordination between Federal and State agencies
- (e) Audits
- (f) Transition grants
- (g) Violations
- (h) Effect
Last Modified: May 2, 2011
To view PDF files you must have Adobe Reader installed on your computer.