Inter-Governmental Roles Subcommittee
November 03, 1999
Committee on Meat and Poultry Inspection
The Committee supports USDA/FSIS continuing the current effort of
regulatory reform using the following approach:
- Use transparent and methodical rule making with opportunities for
interested parties to work cooperatively toward the objectives;
particularly on those which are identified as new regulatory areas.
- Incorporate scientific data and cite sources to
support rules as they are proposed.
- Make the process very public and make available in
advance information on the subject to facilitate discussion in public
- Regulations should strive to improve food safety.
Standards for one species should not be decreased in the interest of
making them the same as another species.
- Gather economic data on benefits to support cost of
- Risk assessments should be targeted to encourage the
most rapid response to public health matters.