National Advisory Committee for Meat
and Poultry Inspection
June 23, 2003
Sub-Committee Number 1
Delivery of Training
- What feedback do you have about these objectives for the delivery of
training and education?
All six goals are appropriate. The following suggestions can strengthen
Goal 1: Strengthen the public health, scientific, and technical skills
of the workforce.
- Identify the training needs for new hires, continuing education needs
of current employees.
- Two kinds of training are needed: theoretical and practical.
- Joint educational training as appropriate with FSIS, other federal
agencies, states, consumers, and industry.
Goal 2: Enhance the ability of the workforce to protect meat, poultry
and egg products from intentional harm.
- Add the known security and safety concepts regarding homeland
security without diverting resources from traditional food safety mission.
Goal 3: Make training and education accessible at the worksite.
- Centralized FSIS review of educational content so that the message is
consistent from district to district and to all stakeholders.
Goal 4: Improve training for managers.
- Bring in more people with managerial and technical skills.
- Mentor, coach and train those within the Agency who are on the rise
to develop managerial skills to replace those who retire.
- Build in training with career path/ladder associated with job
- Rotational assignments within the Agency.
- Use of multiple sources of education and training programs.
Goal 5: Maintain and improve training and infrastructure.
- Establish incentives for continuing to learn, not just financial,
such as CEU, college credits, reimbursements, administrative leave, and
- Recognize and reward successful completion of educational training.
- Obtain external input for Agency training needs assessment from
states and other stakeholders.
Goal 6: Respond to emerging and specialized needs.
- Specialized trainers are needed to address new policies, procedures
Will achieving them help FSIS become a public health agency that is a model
for other public health institutions?
2. What other suggestions do you have about delivering training and
- Incorporate rigor into the education and training to ensure the goals
of the Agency are met.
- Education provided by the Agency requires reciprocal commitment from
employee with time in service.
- Assess employee’s educational background to ensure that employee
receives training at the appropriate level with an expectation of success.
- Provide opportunities for overview training for stakeholders especially
on policy issues.