National Advisory Committee to Discuss Proposed Rule on the Modernization of Poultry Slaughter Inspection
USDA's National Advisory Committee on Meat and Poultry Inspection (NACMPI)
will meet later this month to review and discuss the proposed rule on the Modernization of Poultry Slaughter
Inspection that was published in the Federal Register on Jan. 27.
This discussion will be held via web conference on March 21, from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., EST. FSIS will provide an
overview of the proposed rule, followed by an open discussion. Additional details, to include registration, will
be listed on the FSIS website and upcoming issues of the Constituent Update.
Public comments will be accepted until April 23 and may be submitted via e-mail to NACMPI@fsis.usda.gov
or NACMPI, USDA, FSIS, 1400 Independence Ave., S.W., Rm. 1180, South Bldg., Washington, DC 20250. All submissions
must include docket number FSIS-2012-0016.
For information about the meeting, contact Sally Fernandez at (202) 690-6524 or
or visit www.fsis.usda.gov.
Updates on FSIS Testing for E. coli
Weekly updates for the agency's raw beef E. coli sampling program are posted on the FSIS website.
For comparative previous and current year results, go to
USDA Unveils the Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food Compass
The Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food (KYF) Compass is a new online resource about USDA's support of local and
regional food. The Compass is a multi-media narrative with stories, pictures and video about USDA's support for
local and regional food systems, along with and an interactive map of USDA-supported local and regional food
activities around the country. With the Compass, you can:
- LEARN about USDA resources to develop local and regional food enterprises—from
seasonal high tunnels that extend the growing season, to technical assistance for beginning and experienced
producers, to support for marketing, processing, distribution and retail infrastructure.
- SEE case studies and photos of successful producers and projects from around the country.
- NAVIGATE the interactive KYF Compass Map, which shows the location and focus of many
USDA-supported local and regional food projects.
- WATCH videos documenting how others are building strong local and regional food businesses,
expanding local food production on their farms and ranches and making a change in their communities.
- JOIN the national conversation. If you're a customer, meet a farmer. If you're a farmer,
talk to your customers. Continue the conversation in your neighborhood, town and community about what local
foods mean to you.
Explore the KYF Compass by visiting www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?navid=KYF_COMPASS.
Export Requirement Updates
The Library of Export Requirements has been updated to reflect changes in export requirements for the following countries:
Complete information can be found at
- European Union
Codex Public Meeting on Residues of Veterinary Drugs in Food
FSIS and the FDA are sponsoring a public meeting to receive public comments and draft U.S. positions to be
discussed at the 20th Session of the Codex Committee on Residues of Veterinary Drugs in Foods (CCRVDF),
which will be held in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
The public meeting will be held on April 23 (new date), from 1 - 4 p.m. at the Jamie L. Whitten Bldg., USDA,
1400 Independence Ave. S.W., Rm 107-A, Washington, D.C. 20250. Documents and agenda items related to the 20th
Session of the CCRVDF will be accessible at the Codex website at www.codexalimentarius.org.
The following items will be discussed during the public meeting:
- Draft Maximum Residue Limits (MRL) for Veterinary Drugs
- Revision of the Committee's Risk Analysis Principles
- Proposed amendments to the Committee's terms of reference
- Risk management recommendations for the veterinary drugs for which no MRL has been recommended by the expert scientific committee because of human health concerns
For more information or to submit written comments about the 20th Session of the CCRVDF, contact Kevin Greenlees
at (240) 276-8214 or
For more information about the public meeting contact Kenneth Lowery at (202) 690-4042 or
Get Answers at askFSIS
AskFSIS is a web-based technology and policy question-and-answer forum on topics such as exporting,
labeling, inspection, programs and procedures.
In addition, askFSIS offers Really Simple Syndication (RSS) feeds that link back to the Q&As. To view
recently posted topics, visit http://askfsis.custhelp.com/.
FSIS Policy Updates
FSIS issues notices and directives to protect public health. The following policy updates were recently issued:
- Notice 14-12, Verification and Enforcement Activities Related to Export Certification Reimbursable Services
- Notice 15-12, Verifying Nutrition Labeling for the Major Cuts of Single Ingredient Raw Meat and Poultry Products and Ground or Chopped Meat and Poultry Products
- Notice 16-12, Nationwide Raw Liquid Egg Microbiological Baseline Survey – Update
- Notice 17-12, Verification of Antimicrobial Intervention Coverage of Carcass or Product at Veal Slaughter and Beef Fabrication Establishments
- Notice 20-12, Removal of Requirement for a Statement of Verification for Several Countries
All notices and directives are available at www.fsis.usda.gov/Regulations_&_Policies/index.asp.
March 9, 2012